Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
How to split equity between founders

We have a very complex team and our actual roles and skills are known to each other only after we started working and deciding the equities which would be vested in few years. We started working...

asked Sep 28 '12 at 13:08
Blank
User1699696
8 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.72K Views
Is it common for people to work for free in exchange for equity in a startup?

My business partner and I have an idea that requires some web development to be done to get to the first stage of proving that the concept works. We do not want to pay to do this, but rather have...

asked Oct 2 '12 at 00:51
Blank
User19942
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.17K Views
Questions to ask CEO when interviewing at a startup

I've been through several rounds of technical (software developer) interviews at a start-up and have done pretty well. I've been invited back for the final round which will be with the CEO. I...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 18:22
Blank
Onmyway
13 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Incentivizing crowdsourcing through stock/equity IOUs: 1 free share per submission

During its mission to raise popularity in the midst of the dot-com boom in '98, TravelZoo gave a few free shares to each person who signed up for their mailing list. Hypothetically, let's say I'm...

asked Sep 2 '12 at 14:24
Blank
Maxim Zaslavsky
101 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.65K Views
How to divide a property investment company / portfolio fairly

My brother and I would like to start a property investment company / portfolio. Buying run down houses, doing them up and then either selling them or renting. The big question is how to split this...

asked Sep 6 '12 at 02:37
Blank
William Shakerley
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
When one of three founders add a capital round alone, how should he be compensated? Note or Equity

We have a startup with 3 co-founders each having 33.3% of the company. So far we have raised 100k internally and split it 3 ways. Now we wanted to raise another 100k round internally. If one...

asked Aug 17 '12 at 00:18
Blank
Calman5555
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
Revoking a Partner's Equity

I am involved in a startup and one of our minority partners (owns 15%, vested 25% of that 15% with the rest over the next two years) is not meeting his side of the agreement. I think we have the...

asked Aug 17 '12 at 06:04
Blank
Steve
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
Appropriate equity distribution for early stage startup?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? it's been pretty difficult for my team and I (as it is for everyone) to come up with equity numbers. I'm...

asked Aug 17 '12 at 13:56
Blank
Jessica
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Equity equation as 3rd member of a startup

I was working for a startup as a remote contractor for couple of months. The founders of the startups are non technical and I am the only one technical person into the team. After working with...

asked Aug 18 '12 at 19:46
Blank
Arnold
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Unilateral equity investment by a founder

I am one of three founders (all part time) of a software start up which is still in early stages. Considerable effort has been logged even though no formal arrangements have been made. We have...

asked Aug 20 '12 at 06:49
Blank
Mr. Anderson
13 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.75K Views
Shares to programmers

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? So I friend of mine has this idea for a kind of social network based on video blogging, for obvious...

asked Aug 21 '12 at 03:14
Blank
J Striedinger
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
When to commercialize a product?

I am a young university student with a good number of years experience in both small/large software companies. This has put me in a good position to find strong student developers and lead/consult...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 03:31
Blank
Anon 205
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.99K Views
What to offer sales biz dev first hire / partner for product that has early sales traction?

Background: I am a developer with a SaaS product that is bringing in revenue, but not enough to pay a sales person's salary (yet). The company shouldn't need outside funding. The product is...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 07:11
Blank
Nw Architect
136 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
How should early employees be compensated if founders have left and the company has pivoted?

I realize that Joel Spoelsky has written an extensive summary of how equity should be allocated (namely, fairly), but I was wondering how things might differ in slightly different...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 06:15
Blank
Nt3 Rp
115 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
How to structure a startup with a small number of founders to avoid chance of 'paralysis' at some later point

Consider a startup with a small number of founders (lets imagine 2 to 4). At some point down the line a difference of opinion developed (such as market to target, or if to continue or fold) that...

asked Jul 4 '12 at 18:27
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Partnership - Investing time and not cash - What equity should I expect?

Hoping someone can comment or help. I have been invited to join in partnership with two others to start a new company which is entirely there idea. I am not expected to make any cash...

asked Jul 5 '12 at 05:42
Blank
Col
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
Primary founder has conflict of interest but wants to retain equity position without quitting day job?

I am the primary founder of my start up. We have just received our first influx of capital. My current employer feels working on this would be a conflict. The start up has a management team in...

asked Jul 7 '12 at 07:53
Blank
Dan
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
If I attend a hack-a-thon event to work on a prototype, how much ownership do I give up?

I was thinking about attending a hack-a-thon event to get help creating a prototype. I am a non technical founder and was told this route may be a good option. However, I just found out that you...

asked Jul 7 '12 at 12:13
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.87K Views
How to share equity among early investors, CEO and product developers in a technology startup

We are planning for a software startup and following is our setup. There are 4 people who came up with idea. But these people can NOT code and build a product. These 4 people are also going to...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 21:24
Blank
John M
8 points

9 Votes
1 Answers
3.42K Views
Fired from startup, vested equity

I was recently terminated from a startup without cause, where I was one of several founders owning a decent percentage of stock. We also had an angel investor (incubator) in with us for a small...

asked Jul 13 '12 at 16:31
Blank
Startup Monster
48 points