Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

-1 Votes
1 Answers
7.9K Views
Inactive co-founder holds 33% but refuses to dilute

We are 3 founders in the business. The two are working as close to full-time as we can given we dont receive a salary, we each hold 44% and 23% which leaves the last partner with 33%. He has been...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 13:46
Blank
Seventy Six
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.66K Views
Toughest Exercise: Equity Split

Possible Duplicate: Is performance based equity vesting possible? Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? The venture was started by "A" and "B". "A" worked full...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 06:27
Blank
User13405
101 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.83K Views
How much equity should I get for developing a site where the idea isnt mine

A few months ago, I was asked to join a startup for $85k/year. All the company really had was a pretty big angel investor and one guy with the idea (wealthy father and son with the idea). Before...

asked Nov 23 '12 at 17:23
Blank
Anthonypliu
136 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
File Income Tax on Founder's Stock

Do I need to file an income tax return (as I just co-founded a company and filed the 83(b) election on the stocks I was issued ). I do not have any other monetary income. I do not plan of managing...

asked Nov 11 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Kgrover
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Equal partner is making demands that go back on our initial agreement in writing

I'll try to outline this quickly. Two equal, 50/50, partners - one is building/creating the product, running all operations, etc…the other is footing the bills and will be doing the sales. At the...

asked Nov 15 '12 at 12:14
Blank
Calais
51 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Should I give an investor equity for a short term investment?

We are not so much a start up company; been doing business for over 7 years and started off with an investor which was considered a loan with interest. Now we are up to receive anywhere from...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 18:01
Blank
Andrea Wilson
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.05K Views
Joining a startup

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? Apologies for the lack of brevity, but I wanted to give you a full picture of the situation. Appreciate...

asked Nov 18 '12 at 21:45
Blank
Aj Yusuf
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.52K Views
We are bootstrapping our startup, Is this a fair compensation offer?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? We have a team made up of four co-founders. Our equity split is: Co-founder #1 40% Co-founder #2...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 07:41
Blank
Derek
164 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
What are some creative ways for a cash poor start up to compensate a designer?

We are in need of a designer for our start up, but we are pretty much cash poor. I have been talking to a designer for a few days, and he really wants to help as he loves our idea. He is very...

asked Oct 24 '12 at 13:00
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.41K Views
How to divide equity between founders in university spin-off?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? The history of the project: The project started four years ago based on the works and idea of one of the...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 21:34
Blank
Robin
6 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
4.96K Views
How to handle partners asking to renegotiate old partnership agreements

In The beginning Around one year ago we build a software company, we needed to quit our jobs, get financing, a product, legal work, accounting work, clients and partnerships with providers. we...

asked Oct 31 '12 at 05:19
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.7K Views
Technical Cofounder - How much equity do I ask for?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? So, the situation is this: Last year I was working freelance, and I was commissioned to build a web app....

asked Nov 5 '12 at 04:16
Blank
Bluepnume
121 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.14K Views
Change in equity split when founder is dying?

I'm currently involved in a software start up with two other people. Abe started the company a couple years ago. He outsourced development for $100k. He's worked a lot of hours, but on a part time...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 17:49
Blank
Robbie
62 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
Question about terminating contract with employee

Not sure if this the right place to ask but here it goes: We (myself and 2 founders) found our startup about a year ago. Then we brought on an employee to work part-time and had him sign a...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 06:45
Blank
User19965
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
At what point can par value no longer be used with restricted stock?

I have a web site that I own restricted stock in. When I purchased the equity, all I had to pay was par value for the stock (.001 per share I believe). I'm now looking to receive more...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 12:32
Blank
Billy
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
equity explained for a developer

I've seen job listings for developers that offer salary + equity. Can someone please explain equity with an example or two? What is the typically amount of equity for a developer? Is there any...

asked Oct 8 '12 at 17:43
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.26K Views
How to fire a co-founder that owns 30% of shares?

Co-founder performance in the startup has dropped. He clearly has other priorities in his professional life, like other startups, and he doesn't want to give up his 30% shares. The only written...

asked Oct 16 '12 at 05:35
Blank
South
176 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
3.77K Views
Non-Founder CTO Equity?

Background: I'm the co-founder for a 2 year old startup that is currently bootstrapping and solidly profitable (300k+ revenue this year). When we hired our 3rd and 4th employees (COO and CTO...

asked Sep 21 '12 at 03:05
Blank
User406112
31 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.98K Views
Incubator Equity and Royalty?

I'm considering applying to a local incubator, and wanted some quick feedback regarding the following terms (assuming I get in). I've started by bootstrapping, and feel as though I need to dedicate...

asked Sep 26 '12 at 03:20
Blank
User464180
159 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
equity for part-time project?

I have a side project that I work on part-time. Recently someone who is not technical had similar idea approached me and would like to work on the marketing side and help out on product design....

asked Sep 26 '12 at 16:45
Blank
Perlwle
23 points