File Income Tax on Founder's Stock


Do I need to file an income tax return (as I just co-founded a company and filed the 83(b) election on the stocks I was issued ). I do not have any other monetary income. I do not plan of managing this stock otherwise either (sell/buy/etc).

In case it matters, it is a Delaware Corporation, and I "payed" for the stock through services rendered.

Equity Tax

asked Nov 11 '12 at 06:44
106 points
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

2 Answers


You need to attach the 83(b) election declaration to the tax return for the year in which you received the stocks. So you need to file the tax return so that you would be able to fulfill this requirement.

answered Nov 11 '12 at 07:53
5,090 points


Agreed. In case the value of the stock goes way up, if you file a tax return now, then that is a record of the fact that you paid tax already, which will protect you from a much larger tax bill in the future.

answered Feb 10 '13 at 10:27
1,747 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Equity Tax