Startups Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Offering free lunches for employees: how to handle logistics?

We are a small startup of 12 people. Offering free lunches to employees is a perk that everyone enjoys, but has become an annoyance from the logistics standpoint. Everyone usually have different...

asked May 20 '14 at 17:13
Blank
William Pitts
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.87K Views
Should you give your product away for free to first adopters?

During the first few weeks of launching, should you give your product away for free to get people to use it and possibly spread the word about it?Is that a good marketing tactic? It's a strategy...

asked May 20 '14 at 13:21
Blank
Cynthia Wilson
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.58K Views
Bootstrapping: should you pay yourself a salary or reinvest all profits back into the business?

Lets say you are bootstrapping your startup and generating a little revenue. Should you use that revenue to first pay yourself a salary or should all of the profits be re-invested back to fuel growth?

asked May 21 '14 at 16:42
Blank
David Thornhill
17 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.28K Views
List all the tools you're using this week for your startup.

What are all the tools you are using for your startups this week? It's interesting to see what other founders are using, and a good way to discover new tools.Here are mine: Google...

asked May 12 '14 at 13:26
Blank
Jeannie Smith
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Can a pitch deck be used for things other than raising money?

We have spent a lot of time creating variations of pitch decks for our business and closed a small angel round. Could we continue to use the decks for other purposes now that funding is over?What...

asked May 13 '14 at 14:13
Blank
Leann Dement
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.63K Views
Should you make an intro video for your startup even though most visitors don't usually see it?

Is it worth spending money making a video explaining your startup on your homepage? Most startups have a short 1 minute video on their homepage that explains what their business does. Yet only a...

asked May 9 '14 at 15:59
Blank
Thomas Colgan
2 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Processing for firing a co-founder?

I'm going through a tough position in my startup where we have to let go of one of our co-founders. It's due to several reasons and the other two co-founders (myself included) have decided that...

asked Apr 30 '14 at 17:41
Blank
Elizabeth Hinton
2 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.5K Views
How can startups create a moat or lock-in for their product?

Large companies do it with lengthy contracts or brand recognition. What strategies can startups use to lock users in. Not in terms of a shady practice like not letting them export data, but in...

asked Apr 27 '14 at 13:29
Blank
John Boucher
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.98K Views
Hacks for noise reduction and acoustics for office space?

What are some low cost ways to improve acoustics in small office space? With concrete walls and just desks, the acoustics in our office are horrible. Everything echoes and it's hard to concentrate...

asked Apr 16 '14 at 13:26
Blank
Trent Thomas
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Is it legal to start a cookies company out of your apartment?

I have little funds to start a business (rent space, etc). I have an idea for a cookies company for a very specific target audience: Paleo-friendly cookies made without carbs.Would it be legal for...

asked Apr 10 '14 at 13:42
Blank
Julia Dardar
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
How did YOU validate your startup idea?

There are a lot of threads here on ways to validate your idea, but I would love to heard directly on what founders did to validate theirs.So, for your current startup, how did you validate it?

asked Apr 8 '14 at 18:10
Blank
Arturo Park
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
What's one early stage startup which you think will make it big?

Is there a recently launched startup that few people know about, which you think will grow exponentially? What is it and why do you think it's great?

asked Apr 3 '14 at 15:27
Blank
Bruce Lopez
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Startup ideas people laughed at that eventually became very successful?

What are some of the top startups today that people thought would never work?

asked Apr 2 '14 at 21:55
Blank
William Kalb
9 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
How important is it for a SaaS startup founder to know how to code?

I started out with a business background and have some experience in UX design. But the technical side is not my greatest strength.Should I spend time in learning how to code? How important is it...

asked Apr 2 '14 at 14:58
Blank
Jeffrey Pettit
19 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Cons of starting your startup in Boston?

What are some lesser known reasons why not to relocate to Boston to start your company?If you're a Boston area startup, what are some things that you feel the city lacks?

asked Apr 1 '14 at 18:11
Blank
Lisa Gonzalez
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.99K Views
Cure for the startup blues?

I'm a solo founder bootstrapping my startup for the last 1-2 months and feel completely burnt out. I work 10+ hours each day since my capital is limited to get the business off the ground.What do...

asked Mar 29 '14 at 21:40
Blank
Janet Peterson
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Starting a company outside of any startup ecosystem. Any advice?

If you decide to move to a city where the cost of living is the cheapest, and there is absolutely no startup scene. Any advice for starting a tech company in such a place?

asked Mar 27 '14 at 13:36
Blank
Steven Robinson
19 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Best educational videos when just starting with entrepreneurship?

Just came across a question here which asked about best motivational videos for entrepreneurs.Along those lines:Which are the best instructional videos (with actual advice, not just motivational...

asked Mar 24 '14 at 10:59
Blank
Daniel Martin
60 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.73K Views
What type of contract is needed to add a new equity-owner to an already established company?

I'm in a situation where I'll be joining a startup that has already created their company entity and been in existence for a couple years. It's a sweat-equity deal, so I will not receive a salary,...

asked Mar 25 '14 at 15:46
Blank
Chad Hutchins
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Phrases to avoid when pitching to investors?

What are some phrases startup founders love using that you shouldn't while pitching to investors?

asked Mar 8 '14 at 03:27
Blank
Earl Shellman
55 points