Office Space Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
Why do startups choose open office space layouts even though studies show private offices result in higher productivity and employee satisfaction?

There is study after study showing that software engineers are far more productive and happy in private office spaces vs an open layout.Yet most funded startups still do with large open layouts. Is...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 13:55
Blank
Jamie Wilkins
4 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Best type of office space for startups?

Should a new startup sublet or rent it's office space? We are a small team of 4 and bootstrapping our startup with our own money.

asked Jul 25 '14 at 21:44
Blank
Vernell Santos
7 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
Office Space in Client's Office

One of our clients has agreed to allow us to use some of their office space gratis whilst we get to our feet. Is there anything that we should consider that may not be obvious. I'm aware that we...

asked Jun 6 '12 at 22:48
Blank
Mr Edmundo
118 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Should you rent out unused desks in your startup's office?

We've rented a small office (10 desks in total) and only using 4 at the moment. Should we rent out the other desks to other startups in order to better utilize the rent we're paying? Or is it...

asked May 22 '14 at 22:29
Blank
Margie Allen
4 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Low cost options for convertible desks that are both sitting and standing?

We're looking to get desks that fit both developer preferences: sitting and standing. All the convertible desks I've seen online cost $500 to even $1200.Are there any low cost options available?...

asked May 3 '14 at 19:58
Blank
Jessica Logan
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
Can you rent an apartment and use it as an office?

Is it legal to rent a studio apartment and use it solely as an office? Where I'm located, residential rents are cheaper than commercial.We're a small team of designers so we don't make noise or...

asked Mar 14 '14 at 02:28
Blank
Charles Wagner
20 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.39K Views
Hacks for noise reduction and acoustics for office space?

What are some low cost ways to improve acoustics in small office space? With concrete walls and just desks, the acoustics in our office are horrible. Everything echoes and it's hard to concentrate...

asked Apr 16 '14 at 13:26
Blank
Trent Thomas
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Problems startups face when renting first office space?

What are some problems you have faced when renting your first office space (dedicated space, not shared desks)?We're going to be renting our first private office space as we've outgrown the...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 15:44
Blank
Judy Holmes
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.3K Views
Pros and Cons of Co-working spaces vs. dedicated office space?

What are some pros and cons for starting your company out of a co-working space vs. a dedicated (but small) office space.Smaller office spaces aren't that different in costs when compared to some...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 16:13
Blank
Amanda Bush
15 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Key things to look out for in an office space lease?

What are some key items to watch out for in an office space lease? We're renting a small space and don't have the resources (bootstrapped) to also hire a lawyer just to review the lease.

asked Mar 21 '14 at 15:43
Blank
Joel Villegas
5 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.55K Views
Cool motivational artwork for new office?

I'm just setting up my first office space. Any suggestions for where to buy some cool posters for the office?

asked Mar 3 '14 at 21:55
Blank
Douglas Patterson
200 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Why are private office / conference room walls made of glass?

What are some reasons to use glass as the outer wall in office rooms? Shouldn't conference rooms have solid walls for private meetings and people might feel more comfortable in a private office...

asked Mar 19 '14 at 11:26
Blank
Ramona Hanson
19 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Hacks for a free / low cost startup office space?

Working from home or a coffee shop are both tough for me due to distractions (and lack of motivation if I work from home).Where are some hacks / places I could use to work without many...

asked Mar 18 '14 at 03:32
Blank
Carson Lovett
45 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
I own real estate that I want to lease to startups. How can I attract them?

I have a couple of small properties that I would like to lease to startups and tech companies. What amenities should I provide in order to attract them? Best ways to advertise them to startups...

asked Mar 14 '14 at 04:57
Blank
Jeremy Sykes
20 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Which startups have moved their companies OUT of the San Francisco bay area?

With rents and cost of living spiraling out of control, are there any popular startups that were based in the bay area and decided to move to another city or state?If you have a team of ~20, what...

asked Mar 10 '14 at 05:56
Blank
Jan Chu
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.44K Views
Best position for a desk: facing the window or facing the doorway?

Based on your experience, which desk positioning do you feel most productive in? Facing the door (feng shui) or facing a window so you can look out periodically?

asked Feb 25 '14 at 18:46
Blank
Janice Bishop
40 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
Subjective: Which office chair do you use and recommend?

Looking to buy a few chairs for our new office and wondering which chairs are both comfortable for long coding sessions and fairly cost effective at the same time.

asked Feb 23 '14 at 20:00
Blank
Wayne Wallace
25 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Private offices or open-plan: which makes employees most productive?

I know Joel Spolsky has been very vocal about private offices being best for engineers. But do you think being a private office might feel lonely after a while?Which plan has the perfect balance of...

asked Feb 12 '14 at 23:28
Blank
Kelly P.
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Place to pick for my startup: San Francisco, New York, Austin, or Boston?

I'm a recent graduate with a startup that might be attending YCombinator. Where would you say is the best place to base your startup? If everything works out with YC, I'd likely move to one of...

asked Feb 4 '14 at 09:13
Blank
Tylar Michaelson
41 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
Laughs at the office vs Seriousness

We have two different spaces in our office. one, in front of our building, contains our call centre, in the back we have our software development team. Our call centre team seems to like a serious...

asked Jul 3 '13 at 23:42
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points