Startups Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.1K Views
Starting a business with a co-founder without a corporation?

Could you start a company with a co-founder, and have generic agreements in place, all without registering a corporation?We're bootstrapping our first startup and don't want to spend both money and...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 20:12
Blank
Marion Woodward
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Is there a market for providing an API to UPC barcode data?

I have a huge database of UPC barcodes and their corresponding products (name, photo of the product, some specs).Do you think there might be a market to provide a paid API access to this data?

asked Jun 30 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Michael Hall
14 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.38K Views
I want to start angel investing with revenue I'm generating from my business: how do I find good startups to invest in?

I have a B2B application that is starting to generate a good amount of profit. Since I don't have any investors and reinvesting as much as I can already to grow my business, I want to start...

asked Jul 9 '14 at 14:56
Blank
Joy Joy
24 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.12K Views
Startups and anxiety: how do solo founders motivate themselves when things don't go according to plan?

Almost no one gets to realize their metrics of success when they launch their startup. It's a long, arduous journey which no one anticipates until they launch their product, only to find that...

asked Jul 9 '14 at 15:58
Blank
Robert Pankratz
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.87K Views
How to promote people in a small company of less than 20 people?

We are a small company of less than 20 people. How do we provide opportunities for people to move up the ladder? We are not growing in terms of company size as our business runs pretty well at it's...

asked Jul 14 '14 at 14:29
Blank
Allen Sullivan
9 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.02K Views
My employee agreement doesn't allow me to work on side projects, how can I start a company?

Under my agreement with my current employer, they retain ownership of everything that I create, both at work and side projects (the legal wording is very lose on this, and I guess it's like that...

asked Jul 17 '14 at 18:29
Blank
Cristina Rath
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.04K Views
Should you create a standardized recruitment process for a new startup?

I'm the business co-founder in our startup and creating processes to keep things running smoothly and being able to focus on sales.Should startups have a process in the place for hiring? If so,...

asked Jul 21 '14 at 15:03
Blank
Ralph Setzer
9 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.91K Views
Well known one-man startups that have revenues / profit over $1M?

Are there any startups that are run by a single person (bootstrapped by solo founder with no employees) that generate revenues over $1M?

asked Jul 24 '14 at 17:55
Blank
Melanie Dodson
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.26K Views
What are the skills that a solo co-founder must learn and balance between?

I'm currently a purely technical founder who is working on a SaaS application.What kind of skills should I also be learning on the side to become a better solo founder and make my startup a...

asked Jul 25 '14 at 20:27
Blank
Lois Cooper
7 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.02K Views
How much money to save before quitting job to work full time on startup?

I am currently working as a software engineer and have a pretty good salary (above $125K). How much savings should I ideally have before quitting my job and working full time on a startup idea solo...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Philip Ochoa
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.3K Views
Employing actual software developers for Level 1 tech support and email a good and sustainable idea?

Has anyone tried this before at a "software company" and had it sustainable?After working at two BigCo's over a span of 6 years I recently joined a startup with friends from colleges. The CEO even...

asked Aug 12 '14 at 03:43
Blank
Fkedwantaprnur
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
Are startup directories like Product Hunt worth the effort to drive initial traffic?

There are a ton of "startup directories" like Product Hunt that list new startups and apps.Is it worth the time to add your new startup to all these sites? Due to the large numbers of companies...

asked Aug 25 '14 at 14:57
Blank
Geoffrey Ford
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.15K Views
Get feedback or improve product before contacting people who have shown interest?

I've built an MVP and have about 35 beta sign ups. It's not much but my landing page conversion rate is fairly high so far, so that's a good sign. I've sent out about 10 invitations to sign up....

asked Aug 26 '14 at 14:44
Blank
Mnort9
201 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
5.62K Views
Should I learn to code or hire a contractor?

I'm a marketing person with an idea for an app that I want to launch. Should I spend a few weeks or months learning how to code or should I save up some money and hire a programmer?Are there...

asked Sep 3 '14 at 21:55
Blank
Doug Blackwell
22 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.87K Views
When should I register / copyright my startup company / app?

I finished creating an app and am expecting a good amount of users after I start advertising it. I live in Canada but I have my green card and am eligible to live in the US at any time. I plan on...

asked Sep 25 '14 at 20:32
Blank
User34140
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.06K Views
Where to find work in a part-time startup?

I am a software engineer. I am looking to work in some startup part time (paid or non-paid). Something to do after work or on the weekends. What is the best in-person place in the SF bay area or...

asked Oct 21 '14 at 01:27
Blank
Dan
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
3.16K Views
How to fire a co-founder with more equity than me

I have been working with three co-founders for about a year. Two are technical, including me, and the other is business. We have the equity split up on paper and have determined the exact price of...

asked Oct 22 '14 at 06:42
Blank
User34175
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
Both cofounders quit. Rebrand?

So me and 2 other cofounders spent a year building a product together, however it got no traction. We have a ery expensive buyout price however, but I don't think it makes sense to buy them out. So...

asked Oct 22 '14 at 21:10
Blank
User34175
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.26K Views
Ideal equity distribution example

Two colleagues ("A" and "B") want to set up a new business based on production. Both invest to initiate the company: "A" and "B" WILL INVEST the same amount. ADDITIONALLY, "B" will make a large...

asked Dec 8 '14 at 15:14
Blank
Ojey
6 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
4K Views
My startup idea is already being done and being done for free. How can I compete with free?

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in offering a free service. I plan on offering a valuable service thats trusted and easy to use. After wondering about my idea that I've been building for the...

asked Jan 14 '15 at 19:27
Blank
User34223
21 points