Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Percentage allocation for my startup reasonable?

I've developed a new product that I am going to be selling and putting on the market. I had been planning on funding everything with my own personal savings. I have a friend (Mike) who believes in...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 16:01
Blank
John
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.75K Views
how to get money to open a retail store?

I am on optometrist and want to start my own business and stop working for others. In my world, the owner of the optical pays the doctor (me) a salary and makes a killing on my labor in the form of...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 06:28
Blank
Kacalapy
129 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How much equity should these founders have?

Me and my 3 partners are in the early stages of a gaming start up company. We are now looking to split the initial equity in the company because we are not all on equal terms. Person#1 is an...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 13:30
Blank
David Menard
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
How to fire a co-funder on non funded company

How to fire a co-founder, which means mainly how to remove him from the funding process. We decided to get ride of one of our co-founder, we didn't fund yet, and we wanted to give him 20% share,...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 05:32
Blank
John
3 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
What type of lawyer do I need?

My business partner and I are looking to start a gymnastics school. We have been told by the bank that we need 100% collateral. It is not uncommon for owners to seek parents of current gymnasts to...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 01:46
Blank
Kendra
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
Do startups need to incorporate to receive funding?

If a startup is going to take venture capital, is it necessary to incorporate so shares can be exchanged to the VC firm? Is it the same with angel or individual investors?

asked Jan 19 '13 at 14:02
Blank
4th Space
125 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Get foreign investment (US VCs and Angels) for startup in Europe

We are a startup in Europe. (A Saas music web app + mobile app and we are now exiting from stealth mode.) I wonder how to reach US Venture Capitalists and Angels from Europe. We are incorporating...

asked Jan 20 '13 at 18:49
Blank
Mike
113 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.64K Views
When and how do I approach an investor?

I've been working on my startup for about 3 months now. Currently we have two active team members: a backend developer and a frontend developer (myself). Now we're looking to get investments so...

asked Jan 27 '13 at 03:41
Blank
Michelle
168 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
How is an ownership group formed?

I am interested in forming an "ownership group". I see the term all over the place, especially in sports, but can't seem to find any details on how these groups are initially formed. Is it a legal...

asked Dec 14 '12 at 08:24
Blank
Mark
126 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Outsourcing development with friends and family money

My cofounders and I have bootstrapped so far to get a hardcoded (doesn't connect with a server) iOS prototype for $10k from a local outsourced developer. We have no traction yet and are in need of...

asked Dec 16 '12 at 14:26
Blank
V B
24 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Different stages of VC finance and were the company / product is in its life / development cycle

You hear a lot in the media about _ raised a stage A round of x million, or ___ just got seed funding from a group of angel investors. But what's never explained is the stage that these companies...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Sam
123 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
How will I know when my company is ready to receive an investment?

How will I know when my company is ready to receive an investment? I am starting a company and have bootstrapped it so far. I have produced four versions of the demo. The first fully-working...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 11:10
Blank
Gunshor
1 point

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.69K Views
Is it possible to get funding to buy a Canadian non-profit company and turn it for-profit

I'm going to be vague and have used a new anonymous account to hide my identity because I don't want the other parties involved to know about my question. I'm a developer who has been working on...

asked Oct 23 '12 at 05:23
Blank
Justgottaknow
9 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
What are some creative ways for a cash poor start up to compensate a designer?

We are in need of a designer for our start up, but we are pretty much cash poor. I have been talking to a designer for a few days, and he really wants to help as he loves our idea. He is very...

asked Oct 24 '12 at 13:00
Blank
Derek
164 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
Is it okay to shop around for incubators

I'm meeting with a local incubator tomorrow and I would like to know if it's okay to tell them I'm going to "shop around". I want to talk to other incubators and see what they can bring to the...

asked Oct 30 '12 at 23:10
Blank
Dragonman
120 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Kickstarter in EU : still not possible?

I've seen a few posts on this site about crowdsourcing which imply that it's not possible to use kickstarter outside the US. I'm wondering where does this information come from ? Any sources ? I...

asked Oct 16 '12 at 16:30
Blank
Dinaiz
116 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
7.27K Views
Does BizSpark preclude you from accepting funding elsewhere?

I am going to embark very soon on a software venture (have been a consultant and employee up until now). I see advantages in signing up for Microsoft's BizSpark. However, I wonder if doing so...

asked Oct 17 '12 at 11:40
Blank
B. Clay Shannon
123 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
How do I specifically start a business as a government defense supplier?

No matter what shape the economy is in, the government will always have at least a few if not many contracts with defense contractors. I would like to start a business as a supplier to these...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 04:17
Blank
Greg Mc Nulty
75 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.58K Views
Going Public Through a Reverse Merger - Capital Pool Company

I am with a one year old startup. We had an offer to get public a couple of days after we started the company and nowadays more and more people ask me that. Reverse mergers and Capital Pool...

asked Sep 29 '12 at 08:52
Blank
Ovi Ang
6 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.76K Views
When is a niche too small?

I'm interested in developing a product for the sport of paintball. It has an estimated 10+ million participants (3rd largest extreme sport), though I'd be targeting the real enthusiasts of the...

asked Aug 24 '12 at 23:43
Blank
Tbowman
217 points