Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Is it legal to pay someone a commission for helping us raise funding?

Our startup is at a very early stage, and we do not want any institutional funding at this moment, for reasons out of the scope of this question. We are instead looking for funding from friends and...

asked Apr 5 '12 at 03:36
Blank
Royal1122
252 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
What do kickstarters want in return?

I was looking at kickstarter to get some funding for a possible business venture. Kickstarter funding would cover entity filing fees and other costs or licenses and materials. I have seen some...

asked Mar 15 '12 at 12:35
Blank
Cqm
11 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
Whats my next step?

My name is Stephen. This is my first time at your site so I'll explain where I'm at with my product and hopefully I can get a little feedback on what you might think is the best "next step". 1.)...

asked Mar 17 '12 at 23:07
Blank
Stephen
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.03K Views
Statistics about startup success vs. failure rates?

Are there any statistics that measure the success vs. failure rates of startups? The definition of success would be to attract first or second round of funding and failure would be to not get...

asked Mar 8 '12 at 17:38
Blank
Eminemence
108 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.58K Views
Can startup funding cover founder's personal expenses?

I and a friend of mine are working on our own web startup. Right now we are coding the whole thing and would be looking for investors 3-4 months down the line. My question is, can we include our...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 09:32
Blank
Sandip Dev
33 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Pitch for funding while the company is in the process of being registered

I have applied for the registration of my company, but it might take around 3 months to get all the formalities clear. In the meantime, is it possible to approach any VC and ask for funding? I ask...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 16:27
Blank
Nitin Bansal
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
quit your day job while building your awesome concept before funding?

I was thinking it all right to work on my great concept during my free hours and weekend left from my day job. however, lately, I feel I cannot use this free time effectively due to job stress and...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 20:46
Blank
Ned
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How Many Seed Investors Should we Approach

We are building a startup, we are a few weeks away from our MVP launch. We have had some initial positive investor conversations with an angel and a couple VCs. One large VC that generally doesn't...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 22:15
Blank
Dmoore
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Monetization of a big open-source software frameworks

Let's consider jQuery is an example project for my question. jQuery is the most renown java script open source software framework nowadays. It was created when working with JavaScript was a real...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 21:44
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.88K Views
Where to find Funding to keep selling or go bust

Our business model is based on IAAS. We have to keep investing in equipment that we rent out and always lack funding to purchase new equipment. We have come this far with private loans and fundings...

asked Feb 5 '12 at 18:08
Blank
Brian
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
C Corp Investment Documents

What the appropriate documents needed for one to buy into a (Delaware) C Corp (private)? What are the documents that the Company needs to issue in order to confirm the investment?

asked Feb 7 '12 at 03:21
Blank
Sfe
4 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Start up valuation - how much equity

Approached by 2 founders that are very early days of executing an idea. They have some good .com properties that will be central to brand/idea and had recent offers around $100K, with one outlier...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 12:24
Blank
Jjj
21 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
7.98K Views
Funding: Kickstarter or Family Loan?

Background I've been working on a video game for android devices (i.e. an app) for some months now, and I'm getting close to completing a solid, well polished product I'm lucky enough to have an...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 11:32
Blank
James Coote
130 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
7.35K Views
Standard Articles of Incorporation Documents - resources

What are the best incorporation (and related) document resources? Are the YCombinator incorporation docs available? There are a number of 'model' or 'open source' documents for a startup's first...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 15:50
Blank
Chris Busselle
36 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
Is it common to create several companies when starting a business?

I'm trying to raise a startup with three other people. The idea is to have a first prototype of the product and then seek funding. So far we have collaborated informally, but now we will go into...

asked Jan 31 '12 at 08:15
Blank
Lightman
8 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Why does a web startup need millions on VC capital?

One of the great benefits of the web application business is that startup costs are generally fairly low compared to brick and mortar businesses. Web hosting is getting cheaper and programming...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Jason C
41 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
How investment works when the entrepreneur is a foreigner?

I'm a foreign entrepreneur, If a US investor shows interest in investing in my company. At what stage do i have to meet them? do you think it's worth it to spend $2000 in travel expenses and yet...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 02:19
Blank
Ryan
139 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.7K Views
Where can I find international seed investors?

We have just lauched a website for our upcoming SPARQL Database Server. We would like to attract the interest of international seed investors, but we are not sure where to start looking. We are...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 22:31
Blank
Inge Henriksen
101 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to decide on how much stake to sell in a SaaS startup?

I have a brand new tech startup. The system was developed over the period of 1 year, the website is ready and it also already has a couple of customers (non-recurring). The service was launched 2...

asked Jan 5 '12 at 17:58
Blank
Invictus
6 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Evaluating a startup

My question is, what is the best way to evaluate a software startup as a perspective employee from the point of view of viability i.e. economic viability. I am more interested in hints related to...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 07:13
Blank
Jim
21 points