Risk Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.5K Views
Need opinions: equity, salaries and risk with partners in a startup

Hi all, let me give you a brief run down of my case: a couple of other people and I are thinking about creating a technology startup for a niche marketing product. It would involve an initial ~8...

asked Oct 24 '14 at 06:46
Blank
Awasaba
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
A big chunk of my revenue comes from one source. Is that a huge negative in raising money from angels?

I have a software product and one enterprise client accounts for over 70% of my revenues right now. Is that a huge negative for investors? How can I mitigate that risk?Our goal is to use the money...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 16:48
Blank
David Harman
20 points

24 Votes
19 Answers
6.34K Views
How to become more of a risk-taker?

I hear stories all the time about entrepreneurs who take out a second mortgage to start a business, run their personal credit cards through the roof, and put a whole lot on the line for success....

asked Oct 21 '09 at 14:46
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Tech startup equity split question

First about my background: I have been programming and consulting for 15 years, with expertise in C#, Asp.net, t-sql, Pl/sql, JavaScript, and to a lesser degree Java, Python, NodeJs etc... I would...

asked Oct 31 '13 at 22:25
Blank
Beer Drinker
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
How to handle payments for pay-as-you-go?

My startup is a marketplace for compute time (a crowd-sourced alternative to Amazon EC2/Web Services), where buyers can rent computer time via the internet by the hour. Ideally I'd like to...

asked Sep 17 '13 at 02:54
Blank
Steve
310 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Does having a controlling interest in a startup offer investors additional protection?

It reduces the risk for the entrepreneur but I also came across the complementary view that it might offer the angel/VC an added level of protection. How does that work?

asked Apr 19 '13 at 01:10
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
How to evaluate risks?

There is a project that a company wants us to build, so we now have the opportunity to start our company with a customer that will pay for our modules/app. How do you evaluate the risk? There are...

asked Nov 24 '11 at 11:09
Blank
Tyoc213
41 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
What are the major risks that can influence a business?

I am starting an internet business I have enough traffic of my estimation and I am currently earning through to Google adsense program now I faced a question What are the major risks that can...

asked Sep 16 '11 at 06:53
Blank
Gimp
427 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Risks caused by Euro collapse

I am running a start-up business in Denmark. Denmark is not a part of the Euro, but the currency has been pegged to the Euro for many years. I believe that there is a significant risk of a collapse...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 03:04
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Legality of a risk site

I plan on creating a site that allows the clients to (without signing up) "swap" a certain amount of BitCoins. In short though, it is just an online currency. Basically, the client would send in x...

asked May 28 '11 at 03:43
Blank
Xan
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Forming Partnership - I need directions and guidance to make the right decision at early stage of a startup

I'm a programmer and developer - and that is what i'm good at, although i do have some self-claimed ( :) ) Entrepreneur skills and Managerial traits since i'm already running a Web Development...

asked Feb 22 '11 at 16:48
Blank
User7962
6 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.53K Views
Buying insurance against risks

I have a startup and I have LOTS of risks; 1) Companies suing me because of internal politics 2) My software is running on a corporate server, which I have no control over and if this goes down I...

asked Nov 25 '10 at 00:05
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
Insurance solutions for online lending libraries?

We have started an online lending library for Children's books in India. As with any lending library we send books to our members home. As with lent any items they can get damaged, lost in...

asked May 23 '10 at 23:50
Blank
Hariraj
161 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Single Founder - Keyman Insurance

I like the lean startup approach and our company has been set up to minimise its fixed costs. So we have one founder (me) "inside" but our development team, finance partner, attorney etc is...

asked May 27 '10 at 18:45
Blank
Stealth
76 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
2.89K Views
9 out of 10 startups fail. What if I try 10 startup ideas?

Something I've always wondered is: does the risk of a startup failing to make profit decrease as as the individual/team tries more and more startup ideas? If I had 10 distinct ideas and tried each...

asked May 11 '10 at 00:24
Blank
Jonathanconway
116 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
2.93K Views
access to source code if the start up fails

I have begun developing packaged software for pharmaceutical manufacturers. A BIG customer asked me "what if I install your software and your company is no more after 3 years?" I am sure other...

asked Mar 26 '10 at 01:25
Blank
Noname
111 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.05K Views
What's the biggest risk you've taken while starting up?

I'd love to hear personal stories around this one. I know people who have lived on credit cards for months, incurring quite a bit of debt while they're out looking for funding (big risk). I also...

asked Dec 28 '09 at 11:07
Blank
Brianz
223 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
2.88K Views
Startup Offer. Critical details

I have been approached by someone, who I'll call "Big Executive", who is recruiting a small number of people for a Startup. My particular role would be 1 of a few to develop a software system. I've...

asked Nov 11 '09 at 21:29
Blank
Dan Mc Grath
118 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.6K Views
How can startup be ready to defend IP/Patents if/when a competitor does infringe?

My startup is working on a consumer product (manufacture, sell, ship), where we have developed a really great improvement over our competitors. We have patent pending status, and will be entering...

asked Nov 13 '09 at 04:33
Blank
Michael
250 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.01K Views
Cash reserves guidelines

For those that are running profitable ventures, some amount of cash reserves are necessary to: Smooth out the variability of cash flows Be prepared for emergencies such as an office flood or a...

asked Oct 25 '09 at 16:34
Blank
Oleg Barshay
2,091 points