Bootstrapped Questions

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
Solution to "critical mass" problem with services needing "network effect" to work - any case studies?

All services based on user generated content, in their beginnings suffer the "critical mass" problem. The problem is always the same: to attract the "consumers" of the content, you have to have...

asked Jan 24 '10 at 21:59
Blank
Pawel A
191 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.39K Views
If you were to choose an Enterprenur as a partner what qualities do you prefer to see in them?

what would be your selection criteria. The qualities of an enterprenur are written everywhere would that be enough for you? Is there anything you know as a quality that an enterprenur should...

asked Jan 11 '10 at 19:23
Blank
Francis Eager
38 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
9.07K Views
How to prevent legit emails sent to customers who asked these emails from being considered spam?

I'm bootstrapping a business software and I've got a serious issue: I don't plan on doing any "mass mailing" nor "email campaign". I will never ever send one email to someone who didn't ask. My...

asked Jan 11 '10 at 19:47
Blank
Tristan St.
180 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.16K Views
Tax Accountant or Monthly Bookkeeping?

Given that it is tax time how should you pay an accountant? Do you do your own bookkeeping and just work with a CPA firm to do your taxes or do you have a CPA firm on monthly retainer to make...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 08:43
Blank
User2227
41 points

10 Votes
11 Answers
6.22K Views
What's a reasonable amount of equity to retain when you're the key founder?

I'm working with two other partners to get a SaaS startup off the ground. I worked on this thing slowly, mostly on my own, for about two years before approaching my partners. As a background, I...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 18:21
Blank
Brianz
223 points

11 Votes
8 Answers
4.71K Views
Business Bank Account Suggestions

Recently, my partner and I created an LLC and have secured about 30K in capital to start our online company. We are in the process of choosing a bank to work with and would appreciate some...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 01:52
Blank
Scott Blanc
90 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
How do I make it known that I'm interested in selling my business?

I started a one-person software company 18 months ago with no outside investment. Revenue and profits are healthy ($100K+/year), expenses are low. Although I am not actively seeking to sell, if...

asked Nov 21 '09 at 04:45
Blank
Steve Mc Leod
118 points

7 Votes
12 Answers
4.98K Views
How much should I expect to pay for design work?

I received a quote for design work for my web / iPhone startup - it was quite a bit higher than what I expected, but I wanted to check if my expectations are off. The quote is from an overseas...

asked Nov 10 '09 at 08:33
Blank
Joe
298 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.64K Views
Which type of business to form?

I'm currently starting up a small business with two other partners who are very trustful friends. The business is mostly software, along with one small piece of hardware. We've talked about the...

asked Nov 17 '09 at 12:58
Blank
Brianz
223 points

8 Votes
10 Answers
3.09K Views
The best solution for creating a screen-shot movie to demonstrate a website feature?

We recently just launched a new space planner/floor plan tool on our site and would like to create a screen-shot movie (with a voiceover commentary) to visually demonstrates its ease of use. Can...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 05:29
Blank
David Gise
211 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.75K Views
What are the some innovative/effective ways to streamline office expenses?

We are in the process of compiling a list of the most effective/innovative ways of streamlining office expenses. Can you offer some suggestions?

asked Oct 20 '09 at 02:13
Blank
Open Office Space
26 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
3.44K Views
When is it a bad idea to bootstrap?

There are two types of startups - those who try to get big quickly and then figure out a way to become profitable, and those who are profitable from the beginning, but grow much slower. The first...

asked Oct 23 '09 at 17:36
Blank
Slavo
316 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.06K Views
Anyone get closer to success after working on their startup part-time?

Many suggest to work on your prototype part-time and quit after getting some users. I found that it is hard to build a quality product on a part-time basis because of distractions. I have tried a...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 23:07
Blank
Web Thinker
430 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.09K Views
What are effective ways to bootstrap using your own open source?

I'm the founder of a hosted ecommerce startup. We haven't launched a public beta yet, and we're trying to earn enough runway to be able to work on the startup full time for just a few months to get...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 14:25
Blank
Daniel Crenna
236 points

7 Votes
12 Answers
5.5K Views
Survive starting a business without a paycheck?

When you start a new company, it is necessary to dedicate 100% of your time and effort to make it successful? How do you do this without a paycheck? Especially if you have a family?

asked Oct 10 '09 at 10:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
5.29K Views
We've launched our bootstrapped startup and have a few thousand dollars for marketing. Any advice?

Our startup is PubliciTweet. We're like a Constant Contact for Twitter. While in public beta the service is completely free. We are most interested in acquiring more users than setting up payment...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 07:22
Blank
Jaisen
28 points