Web Questions

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.01K Views
So I'm building a web application

I'm building a pretty standard web application - login, do some searches via some well defined paramaters, get a list of results, drill down on a result to see details about the results. While I've...

asked Jul 9 '10 at 07:14
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Whether the idea that selling some digital images feasible?

Several months ago, my girlfriend wanted to make a custom photo calendar(that's something that you can put your photos with some edition on a calendar). And we search for some tools for this kind...

asked May 9 '10 at 22:14
Blank
Byang
130 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Engagement vs. virality in web app

A web app of mine is the early stage of development. It has less than 100 users in total. On a daily basis there are new users coming in but relatively less returning users. My question is about...

asked Apr 12 '10 at 13:49
Blank
G Rex
683 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
4.4K Views
Best affiliate solution for freemium/free trial web apps?

Most affiliate solutions are not designed to work with freemium or free trial business models. Have you seen an affiliate app that can: Make it simple to manage affiliate relationships Can...

asked Mar 15 '10 at 02:19
Blank
Chris Savage
209 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Targetting a product at web developers

If you happen to wanna target your product at web developers (where your product happens to add value to their clients), how and where would you start your marketing effort?

asked Mar 18 '10 at 12:32
Blank
G Rex
683 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
Offshoring development for web startup

I'm considering the option of employing a developer from oDesk to work on my web startup. My rough plan would be: Write a detailed specification. Produce the design (in terms of class diagrams,...

Web
asked Feb 21 '10 at 21:31
Blank
William Lannen
195 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
List costs to build Consumer Internet site?

Hey all, I'm sitting here trying to list all the costs that will go into building my first website, assuming I have all of the coding done in house. Here's what I have so far: Cost of hosting and...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 03:01
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
What is the best way to pull/access content for a user-contributed content site?

I am in the process of launching a startup and was wondering if I could get some peoples opinions on this. My platform is going to be a collaboration-type site (similar to Wikipedia). How did they...

Web
asked Jan 12 '10 at 03:43
Blank
Sthomps
46 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
Do legitmate businesses make money using spam?

Spam in email, Linkedin Groups, forums, etc is so prevalent. I see it as part of life on the internet but find it annoying and intrusive. Both legitimate and scam businesses spam. Is it because...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 20:29
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
4.08K Views
What are Advantages and Disadvantages of Pricing Monthly Subscriptions?

I've recently the post on the question: Subscription Pricing Starting Strategy: start high and lower, or start low and raise?, and I also read the articles and comments for: QuickSprout: Customer...

asked Dec 22 '09 at 09:28
Blank
Matt
460 points

4 Votes
13 Answers
5.89K Views
Tools for web mockups, "wire-framing"

I'm looking for a tool that'll help me create sketches/mockups of web pages. I'm not talking about the "photo-realistic" sets of PSD's that break everything down into components. I'm not looking at...

asked Jan 6 '10 at 06:58
Blank
Ron M.
4,224 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
Private beta real world examples

Our company is currently in development of software, which should help software developers better support their products. Currently we are still in development but are planing to get into private...

asked Nov 22 '09 at 05:41
Blank
Thomaschaaf
158 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
What to do with software from a business model for a offer comparison web site (like skyscanner)in

The business concept in broad terms was to help customer find the cheapest or other best offer from comparable offers by automatically going to those websites, filling out complex forms and then...

asked Oct 26 '09 at 22:17
Blank
Konrads
111 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.8K Views
When, and how should I think about getting money out of a free site/service?

How to (slightly) monetize a tiny niche website... when it's free to use? I'm developing a small niche website to help an airline worker I know solve a problem she faces fairly regularly. It...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 11:07
Blank
Scott
143 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.74K Views
What is your favorite tool for A/B testing and optimization?

A/B testing is all the rage now. There are lots of choices: Google Website Optimizer, Mixpanel, KISSmetrics, a number of ones that live inside your application, and more. What is your A/B testing...

Web
asked Nov 4 '09 at 14:16
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.4K Views
What are good products that enable a software startup to interface with customers online?

I'm working on a software app that I will sell online. I'm going to go with the "release-early, iterate quickly" plan, so rapid customer feedback is all-important. I'm looking for a web app for my...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 03:24
Blank
Giablo
45 points

10 Votes
16 Answers
4.52K Views
Obtaining the perfect domain name

I am currently finding myself in a situation where my startup is just getting off the ground and we have the perfect company name. Unfortunately, the domain we want is taken. Furthermore, while...

Web
asked Oct 16 '09 at 15:39
Blank
Jb Lesage
70 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
How do you analyze inactive customers?

We have an online application. Lots of people are using it but of course not everyone. My goal is understanding the recently inactive people and what I can do to make them more active. What I'm...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 06:20
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.69K Views
What are the best resources for learning about effective online advertising?

I know I can place ads on Google with Adwords, target ads to individuals' interests on Facebook, use an ad network that distributes my ad broadly, or even buy ads on specific individual...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 11:26
Blank
Chris W. Rea
688 points

6 Votes
11 Answers
3.66K Views
What are the implications of calling your product "beta"?

We have an excellent online application that we've launched. But because we're still fixing some issues it really is still "beta". What are the implications in terms of customer perception,...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 22:45
Blank
Chris
4,214 points