Web Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Do I need traditional marketing for a web startup?

Is traditional marketing (newspapers, magazines, outdoors, tv, radio..and so on) necessary for a web startup in a tough niche (travel industry)?

asked Apr 30 '12 at 16:47
Blank
Daniel
118 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.36K Views
what's a fair amount to charge to build and maintain a web site for a small clothing boutique?

I'm a professional programmer. I've been asked to visit the owner of a small downtown clothing boutique because she wants a "web presence". Probably just a simple place holder web site with their...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 23:45
Blank
User11476
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.34K Views
How to promote a web application?

Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to promote a web application aimed at developers? We have spent the last few months developing an application and it will be released some time this...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 00:47
Blank
Iconic Digital
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.58K Views
PUN domain name suffixes

Possible Duplicate: Non .Com Domains - Does it Really Affect Branding? I have been meaning to get on with my idea and first thing - the domain for its website. Naturally it was already taken,...

asked Feb 18 '12 at 03:09
Blank
Kellogs
135 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.87K Views
On launching new web application, build or campaign first?

I'm a software guy so the approach I tend towards is to build something which does at least some core functionality first before telling anyone about it, and refine it through usage. But recently...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 21:18
Blank
Barra MacMathuna
133 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.68K Views
What steps should be taken to create a “sustainable” web design (as opposed to graphic design) startup company?

I'm interested in determining the steps needed to create a 'sustainable' startup in web design, which should be somewhat different from graphic design firms. Topics include computing energy cost of...

asked Dec 20 '11 at 12:52
Blank
Pete Markiewicz
11 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Do I need a tech co founder at this point?

Here's my situation. A year ago I outsourced a website to be built. Went into it blindly, failed miserably, lost tons of money. Moved on. In the meantime, I've come up with a new concept for a...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 02:41
Blank
Adam
26 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
1.85K Views
Where to look for inspiration when designing product/company website?

To begin with, let me say that "hire a designer" is not really an answer. Problem is, I will still have to evaluate and accept or reject whatever he or she creates. Personally I would go with a...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 07:37
Blank
User9982
206 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.87K Views
global commercial website with a domain other than .com - can it ever succeed?

I'm considering launching a fairly niche website that has the potential developing into major commercial venture. But all the possible .com domains are already taken. I'm not exaggerating -...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 02:46
Blank
User9982
206 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
How to build a successful web application?

I'm still in highschool, but I'm fairly well versed in programming. I've taken a variety of courses at my school, and I've also read a number of books, as of recent, I've been focusing on web...

asked Nov 25 '11 at 20:44
Blank
Bob
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
seeding content for a web 2.0 site

so you've built a great web 2.0 system....the system works great....but you need to seed it with content so that it reaches that critical mass....the question is how do you do it? so...what are...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 16:48
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Ads or no Ads for a web app?

I'm just about to release my first publicly available web app, and I'm wondering what type of revenue model to use. Basically, the entire idea of the app is that it does not require log ins, so,...

asked Nov 7 '11 at 08:15
Blank
Dhaivat Pandya
111 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
1.98K Views
How does a startup get a lot of Facebook fans?

I have a Facebook fan page for my startup and I'm looking to increase the numbers of fans. What are some techniques for acquiring real, legitimate fans?

asked Oct 30 '11 at 10:36
Blank
Sima Akter
31 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Should I make my service free?

For the past year I have been developing a VERY niche based review/community site, in the healthcare field. I did as much h/w as possible in searching for competitors, and there were zero direct...

asked Nov 2 '11 at 14:09
Blank
Jdh
182 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.68K Views
US web startup - what legal steps do I need to take

I am on the verge of being ready to launch a new web application. The application charges a small monthly fee to its users. It is hosted on servers overseas. However, currently, there is no legal...

asked Oct 21 '11 at 16:54
Blank
Guywhoneedsahand
6 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.46K Views
What is more important: Uniqueness of Idea or Marketing?

It would seem to me that users would more likely frequent a site that is well marketed (SEO, etc.) rather than one that is technically superior but has less exposure on the web. Going by this it...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 13:44
Blank
Jason
6 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
6.67K Views
People are saying its "really cool" but hard to convince them to signup - any suggestions?

We developed a social networking platform that connects people with other similar people by analyzing their dreams - everyone is saying its cool but its hard to convince people to signup - any...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 04:32
Blank
Debasish
46 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
Where and how to find customers for a starting business?

I have recently (two months ago) started up a new business in the webdesign industry/Freelance industry. Everything is going well, I am creating a lot of modules which I can re-use for every client...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 17:15
Blank
Michiel Standaert
108 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.94K Views
Home page for a B2B site

I am designing the landing page for a B2B site and want to demonstrate the steps involved in using the product with images. For example, if the sequence of events is 1) User emails us something 2)...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 07:42
Blank
User3462
345 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
How many users use Google, Yahoo, MSN and Outlook Calendars?

I'm working on a product and needs to check how many users are using web based calendars. Or how many users create calendar events per year. I need this to figure out the market size. I tried to...

asked Sep 2 '11 at 09:24
Blank
Gagan
150 points