Legal Entity Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Does creating an LLC that is a holding company for other LLCs provide additional asset protection?

Are there any benefits to creating an LLC that does nothing but act as a holding company for other LLC entities?Does that provide any added benefits in terms of asset protection?

asked Mar 5 '14 at 16:39
Blank
Paul Newman
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
What are the UK company drawbacks for foreign owners?

we won a grant in an Italian incubator, and to receive that we should establish an Italian company. However, looking forward to gain international investments, we'd prefer having a German or,...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 17:35
Blank
Serg Ik S
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Legal aspects of making a for-profit website?

Disclaimer: I've crossposted on Reddit. I'll preface this by saying that I'm in Canada, so some of the legal aspects might differ from the US, but I'm sure lots of them carry across. I'm...

asked Oct 15 '13 at 13:50
Blank
Jmite
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
how to declare a solopreneurship

Let's say I want to start consulting. I have a name in mind for my one-person business. Can I just.... call it that? Do I have to jump through any hoops to make it official?

asked Sep 27 '13 at 00:11
Blank
Walrus The Cat
106 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
When to create the business entity?

If I'm moonlighting and building the product at night and on weekends - at what point does it make sense to establish a business entity (e.g. LLC, Inc, etc)? Would this make sense to only happen...

asked Aug 13 '13 at 22:23
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Language for Articles of Organization LLC Ownership

I am in the process of drafting the articles of organization for my LLC. I would like to specify in there, that the ownership of the LLC is specified with units, and LLC members receive a certain...

asked May 2 '13 at 13:27
Blank
Olli
89 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.11K Views
Can I incorporate my internet business in California/Delaware without a "physical address"?

I am planning a startup in internet space and I live in California. I do not wish to use my home address as the place-of-business (physical) address in the incorporation documents due to concerns...

asked Mar 18 '13 at 18:45
Blank
Joe Black
22 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Legal Status of USA/UK Start up forming

I and a partner wish to set up a company. One of us lives in the UK and the other in the USA. We both want to make sure we are one legal entity so we can sell shares, or if the start-up was bought...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 21:46
Blank
Slappybag
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How does an LLC guarantee a debt?

In regards to LLC protection, if you are the only person in the company and personally guarantee a loan, your assets are not protected if you default. What is the other method of guaranteeing the...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 02:58
Blank
4th Space
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
Legal entity/personal name for android app

I have built an android app and would like to put it on Google play. I found several articles suggesting it's safer to create a legal entity and put any applications under that entity rather than...

asked Nov 18 '12 at 06:08
Blank
Iasonas
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
How do I legally acquire volunteer workers?

I am starting an independent video game studio. I have a team of around half a dozen people who are currently at work on our first game. I'm not comfortable advertising the game under the name of...

asked Sep 16 '12 at 14:17
Blank
Jason Sage
103 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Public v. Private Limited Partnership in Illinois

I'm contemplating starting a LP in Illinois where I will be the general partner. I will seek to sell "units" in the LP to friends and family. The Starting Your Business in Illinois document says...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 01:05
Blank
Strimp099
106 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
10.8K Views
Signing agreements and contracts, what name to use? (California)

I am a videographer in San Diego, CA and I'm fairly new to working freelance. I've recently aquired a Fictitious Business Name (or DBA) under my first and middle name (my stage name when I was...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 06:41
Blank
Melissa
6 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.77K Views
Catch 22 trying to revive a forfeited corporate charter

Ten years ago I formed an S-Corp in Maryland with myself as the sole shareholder and director. Unfortunately I didn't have a handle on making all the required tax filings and payments, and the...

asked May 16 '12 at 08:26
Blank
Maryland Business Owner
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
How do I make sure that my company owns my software?

This seems like a silly question, but I want to make sure that my interests are protected. I own a software development company, LLC in Virginia, and I have a product that I developed and have...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 00:47
Blank
Tim
670 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Rules for using company's registered name

If I've a company registered as Abcd LLC, is it safe to write it as ABcd in email templates etc. ? or are there rules for that.

asked Sep 20 '11 at 00:41
Blank
Who Is Ninja
118 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Strategies for a Startup within a Big Company

I have an idea for a product that is close enough in concept to my employer's business that they might have a claim on the IP (not a valid claim, IMO, but they have all the lawyers). It's unlikely...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 03:07
Blank
Kevin Lawrence
277 points