Technology Questions

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.58K Views
Did you use the technology your former employer use?

All, I am wondering whether there are tendency for someone to build a startup using the technology their former employer use. So do you use the technology your former employer use or some other...

asked May 21 '10 at 20:15
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Is there any video editing software available for a PC that is as easy to use and robust as iMovie?

In an effort to avoid spending $999+ on a Mac, I am looking for a PC equivalent of iMovie. I spent a few hours on a friends Mac and found iMovie (2009) extremely easy to use with a really...

asked Mar 16 '10 at 20:44
Blank
David Gise
211 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Platform / Language question for Photo site with mobile support

This is a newbie question :-) Wasn't sure if StackOverflow or one of its sister sites would be a better place to ask, but thought I'd go ahead anyway here first. A friend and I are toying around...

asked Mar 17 '10 at 02:52
Blank
Seenu
428 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
What kind of timelines have you experienced delivering software

Was curious to hear about other peoples experiences regarding getting software to a point where its ready for a paying customer. My personal experience regardless of the venture or technology...

asked Feb 3 '10 at 09:40
Blank
Doug G
446 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.13K Views
How does one create a startup without any seed funds and developers/coders?

Ok there is a startup idea in place; Not a big thing! Even the plan is 99% on paper; Considerably not bad! Two fellows have shown faith in the plans and agreed to partner ; good considering team is...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 16:47
Blank
Himanshu
56 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.65K Views
When to target a new platform?

I tend not to treat new platforms as serious or viable business opportunities. My reasoning goes like this... Selling $1 apps in the crowded IPhone app store - unlikely to be any ROI...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 03:12
Blank
Benjamin Wootton
1,667 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
3.58K Views
Looking for .NET CMS

I'm looking for .NET content management system. I've done some research and found a lot of software (like Telerik's Sitefinity or DotNetNuke), but I don't want to make wrong decision. Please advice.

asked Dec 9 '09 at 20:36
Blank
Dimitri
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
Pointers to pick up challenging startup work

Can you please provide me pointers to websites where i can pick up some real challenging work and contribute? Regards, Siddharth

asked Dec 12 '09 at 18:50
Blank
Siddharth
88 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Keeping current with new technology and applications

What sites, blogs, etc do you use to keep up with new business technologies and applications that do not market by traditional methods? I am non-technical and realized there is so much out there....

asked Dec 13 '09 at 19:59
Blank
Starr Ed
948 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.06K Views
Do startups fail because of poor technology?

Plenty of startups fail because they don't get traction in the market, their market didn't exist, or they get elbowed out by competition. But does it happen that startups fail because their...

asked Dec 14 '09 at 20:01
Blank
Jeremy Mc Gee
371 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.3K Views
What is the best web site chat provider to use?

I want to add a chat capability to my web site. Wondering recommendations from folks. Looking for something relatively inexpensive and relatively easy to implement but want it to be functional....

asked Nov 25 '09 at 00:59
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.69K Views
View and Markup Options?

Greetings, I am looking for options on reasonably priced (or free / open source) view and markup software that can be integrated into an existing web based, product development software. I know...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 16:03
Blank
Jz199
59 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
MySql scalability

Can anyone point me to any data that shows validates the scalability promises of the MySql database ? Specifically I am looking for real life examples of applications running MySql server and...

asked Oct 25 '09 at 15:18
Blank
Kabir
96 points

3 Votes
10 Answers
11.3K Views
Why do companies acquire other companies?

Why is it hard for companies to learn and replicate the features of a company rather than acquiring it. All the source code including the technologies and framework used are visible to anyone. For...

asked Nov 4 '09 at 08:16
Blank
Syed
445 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
6.57K Views
How can I determine potential market demand?

I would like to determine the potential market demand for a non-software, travel product that requires significant up-front capital for manufacturing. What open source software, if any, would you...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 23:47
Blank
Val Lynn
483 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Marketing clean technology

How does one convince customers to spend more money for the environment? Following the inconvenient truth, global warming and raising oil prices last year, it seems that developing clean green...

asked Oct 18 '09 at 16:38
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.41K Views
How to help businesses see that a new technology may help solve problems for them

In my town there appears to be no business using a technology called functional programming. Microsoft is including a new language for this in their next version of Visual Studio. I am thinking...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 06:45
Blank
James Black
2,642 points

20 Votes
28 Answers
21.6K Views
How to pick a platform for a startup web 2.0 app?

I am looking for recommendatins from the successfull entreprenurs on this forum to advise me on the best software technology platform to develop my web2 webapp on. The web2 app will potentially be...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 11:26
Blank
Aryanved
59 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
9.48K Views
Would you (Java Developer) learn PHP? if management decided opensource (PHP) projects could fulfill business requirements

(Apologies for the long post. I'm really keen to get sound and balanced advise. The only way to do that is to provide you with a good overview of the situation.. :) ..) I would like to say upfront...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 00:21
Blank
G Maximus
23 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.5K Views
Scaling up from 1 Web Server + 1 DB Server

We are Web 2.0 company that built a hosted Content Management solution from the ground up using LAMP. In short, people log into our backend to manage their website content and then use our API to...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 05:09
Blank
Etienne
26 points