Code Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
4.17K Views
How do you protect your code?

For a startup, the product is the most important asset, but it seems that in many/most startups (I know), the complete code base is shared among every member of the team. Even complete database...

asked Jun 6 '12 at 08:59
Blank
Hiro
63 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.04K Views
What kind of development team will we need?

How many developers would it take to build another Facebook? Or at least a trimmed down version. Can one good developer do it, or would we need a large team? I have three partners, none of us has...

asked Jun 15 '12 at 14:12
Blank
Derek
164 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
tech startup - code licensing and copyright

Me and my developers are developing the code for a tech startup that I have an equity with. I'm giving the code to the startup for the startup purpose use. However, since I'm the developer, I would...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 11:49
Blank
Kathy
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Having a license to your product instead of owning it?

Contracted a developer to build a product. Contract was and we were halfway through the project before we had it in hand (realized mistake there, moving on....) We were under the impression that we...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 10:54
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Ownership of Code?

I recently contracted with a developer to build a mvp for the business. We were operating on an understanding that we would own the code upon completion of version 1.0. Now, their legal team has...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 02:22
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Pair of engineers with code, should we walk away from founder? How much should we ask for ($$)?

TL;DR: Worked a year+ on code we still own, founder refuses to raise capital (wants to bootstrap) and is now low-balling us, we're willing to walk away--what would you do? Long version (detailed...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 19:35
Blank
How To Use Our Leverage
11 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
2.74K Views
Code Quality in Boot Strapped Startup

I am running a boot-strapped startup with another technical co-founder and we are making revenue (not profitable yet) and things are extremely tight. We are both experienced programmers and my...

asked Aug 29 '11 at 03:32
Blank
Nextgenneo
327 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Where do coupon websites find their coupons?

Is there some service that aggregate coupon promo code ? There is a lot of coupon websites out there, I would be surprise that all of them fill in information by hand. I didn't find any freelancer...

asked Mar 23 '11 at 02:13
Blank
Emmanuel Caradec
99 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.36K Views
learn to code OR learn about starting a business?

I'm a first time entrepreneur, looking to launch a website for the first time. A friend recommended starting with html to be able to tackle basic website design. I've never started a business and...

asked Jan 28 '10 at 16:27
Blank
Kevin B
33 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.43K Views
Where is a good place to meet coders?

I am not a coder. I know basic coding and some web design, enough to have come up with what i believe to be an interesting idea for a start up. I can design the website and software myself, but...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 17:25
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

10 Votes
17 Answers
10.2K Views
Should a startup CTO know how to code?

A CTO can often be spread very thin, since they often have to run the product, engineering, IT, and anything else that is tech related (salesforce.com setup too). Do they have to contribute to...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 11:29
Blank
Craig Daniel
223 points