Hiring Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
What is considered "generous-stock-options" for a start-up company in its early days?

We are a young startup, founded by 3 members about a year and a half ago, and recently closed a seed-stage investment round. We are about to hire our first 3 employees, 2 tech, 1...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Founder
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.99K Views
Where can I find iOS developers willing to join an early-stage startup?

I'm co-founding a startup in London and we're looking to find an iOS developer interested in working with us to create an early prototype. I'm the technical co-founder, while the other founders...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 00:11
Blank
A Wonder
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
What to consider when approaching a developer about a SaaS partnership opportunity?

First question and this is on behalf of a friend of mine. I'm a student developer, so I was hoping someone around here could provide some tangible insight. My friend is not new to starting a...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 05:20
Blank
Tom Geoco
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Hiring remote employees and getting work done

I want to hire a few developers and support executive for my website. Being an start up, I want to hire them to work remotely to save office expenses but I don't know anything about hiring full...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 20:32
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
Who do I need to hire?

I've started a company approximately 2 years ago that provides monitoring services for a niche cloud-based industry. My target customer base are IT and Development shops of various companies...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Igorek
886 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Company in US wants to hire a UK worker

We are a extremely small start up, just starting out and we need to hire our first marketer. The wages are low, but the work is fun. We put out an ad and many people have come back to us, but we...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 04:17
Blank
Spoiled Techie.Com
102 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Need a service but I don't know much about it

As a decision maker in my startup I want to be better informed when contracting someone for a service, especially. Years ago I was led to believe anyone with a computer and good eye could easily...

asked Nov 8 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Robert Carr
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.52K Views
Selling my share of a 50/50 business

Final question - you may recognize my other two. My partner invested about $10K into this business and I've got 4000K hours, and I charge $100.00 per hour, invested in this business. I think...

asked Nov 15 '12 at 12:31
Blank
Calais
51 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.2K Views
Find an engineering position at a startup

What is the best way to find an engineering position at a startup? Typical job listing sites don't often have postings for these opportunities. While I realize networking is key, how does one get...

asked Oct 6 '12 at 15:16
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.77K Views
equity explained for a developer

I've seen job listings for developers that offer salary + equity. Can someone please explain equity with an example or two? What is the typically amount of equity for a developer? Is there any...

asked Oct 8 '12 at 17:43
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Dealing with Co-founder without the same commitment

Imagine the following scenario: 1 founder and self proclaimed CEO , created an idea for a new website internet services, and started developing it. The core of the system is done, he decides that...

asked Oct 15 '12 at 02:26
Blank
South
176 points

12 Votes
4 Answers
2.63K Views
Expanding development team for a startup

I'm a software developer and co-founder of a start up that's in a sprint to launch a web app the next 2 months. We have about 3 months of burn time we have before we need to get some funding. By...

asked Sep 28 '12 at 03:58
Blank
Acjohnson55
181 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.16K Views
Adding my own developer to freelance team

Hear is my issue: I hired a freelance development firm to create a web app for my business. The developer is very talented and they produce great work. However, development has been very slow and...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 22:35
Blank
Jeff Gaudette
45 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
What it takes for Junior Developer to join a startup?

What skills are needed for a Junior Developer to join Start up firm (US,Europe)? I took part in Code Sprint-Interview Street,did Solve Engineering Challenges that is posted in few tech companies...

asked Aug 14 '12 at 20:46
Blank
Restless
1 point

11 Votes
2 Answers
3.09K Views
Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees?

Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees ? I've read about it here, specifically: Unlimited vacation fosters productivity and loyalty because...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 23:57
Blank
User1510230
56 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.64K Views
Startup, Friend, Salary, and New Employee

My startup is pulling $20,000 a month and in the position to add a new technical full-time employee in order to gain technical competitiveness. However, I'm troubled by my current situation. Few...

asked Jul 21 '12 at 16:23
Blank
Johnny Kim
33 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
How to hire someone who is more technical than you?

I'm an amateur because I have no formal technical education. I built my current startup through technical trial and error. I'm looking to bring in someone who is a professional and can secure my...

asked Jun 11 '12 at 02:01
Blank
Johnny Kim
33 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.14K Views
College Interns v/s Professional Developers?

We are currently facing a dilemma as to whether should we hire interns from colleges (as their summer vacations are about to start) or should we approach some professional guys to build our...

asked May 20 '12 at 04:50
Blank
Addi Xn
23 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.96K Views
Hire a sales guy for a part-time start-up?

Background: I'm a tech guy with alot of product building experience I've built and recently launched a SaaS/cloud application for a niche market, targeting small-size companies The product...

asked May 23 '12 at 11:39
Blank
Cloud Mark
125 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
How to expand our workforce from 1 technical 'guru' to a productive team of 6

Like many fellow startups that we know, we've started like with one technical wizard who know a lot of stuff and who knows now where everything is and how it works. The system has undergone a lot...

asked May 3 '12 at 06:00
Blank
Michael Durrant
227 points