Hiring Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
How to value a Project Manager versus actual Technical/Engineering talent?

I have relatively little experience with recruiting, determining compensation and hiring for startups since this is my first go at it. My approach is that there isn't a single right answer on...

asked May 3 '12 at 15:10
Blank
User1195763
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.98K Views
Product equity rather than company equity - any examples?

We're all familiar with the traditional shared equity arrangements in a startup; Some contribution = Some % of shares (thus equity) in the company, which may or may not payoff down the road at...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 12:18
Blank
Inator
106 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
hiring people only when we need

we are a start up and we have to make a decision on how to deal when we have to write any documents/presentation(technical/marketing/pps/etc). Let's say by instance that I have been contacted by a...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 19:22
Blank
Massimiliano Peluso
172 points

17 Votes
5 Answers
2.58K Views
Overwhelmed by Technical Supports

I have 500 paying customers and 7000 free users grossing about $7k a month and growing fast. I'm tied down at least for several hours a day to handle daily maintenance and answering technical...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 03:21
Blank
User106377
96 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Hiring first person employee vs contractor

I have bootstrapped a startup in NY and am ready to hire a person. Should I hire this person as a contractor or as an employee. I realize that there are many laws and logistics around hiring an...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 08:06
Blank
User15995
42 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
How to evaluate startup co-founders based on testing their leanness and agility skills?

My guess is as in most cases existing relationships and/or validated relevant past experiences are a great start, but wondering on a ad-hoc basis what the best way to evaluate startup co-founders...

asked Mar 2 '12 at 06:33
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Advice for early-stage hiring?

I am the CEO of a rapidly growing startup and our growth has begun to outpace our resources as a 3 person organization. So we have begun looking around for people to hire, both as programmers, as...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 07:55
Blank
Jason
279 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Ethicality of hiring a former student?

Background: I'm both administrative staff for a university, and I'm the owner of a small business. I've been working with a particular student at the university on some university grant work, and...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 05:03
Blank
Smokris
121 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
3.14K Views
Should I hire relatives in my startup?

My sister and I started a small company. I don't mind working with her. So far, we've been doing well and have managed to keep our professional issues separate from our family life. The problem is...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 18:13
Blank
March Robert Philip Serrano
152 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Hiring developers. Ways to reach out?

My company has finally gotten to a place where we can hire a second developer, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for doing recruiting (that are hopefully cheap). I've posted to...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 06:01
Blank
Bwasson
1,162 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.03K Views
Developing a rules engine

I am interested in developing a rules engine to help automate and create some of my everyday business and product functions. I'm not a developer by trade, so I have been looking to connect with...

asked Jan 4 '12 at 04:15
Blank
Jeff
154 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
How to convince a sales rep to take a commission job?

I have contacted a sales rep with good experience and his recommendations are good. But he is interested in salary jobs that pay 80k, with me his 25% is six figures and he only has to sign 8...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 14:38
Blank
Sergio Alvarez
46 points

10 Votes
6 Answers
6.23K Views
Joining a startup within its first year - salary/equity expectations?

I've recently been headhunted by a startup a year old which I am very interested in leaving my current position in a large established business in the same industry for. There are a number of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 08:39
Blank
Scotland
51 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.15K Views
What are some startup perks?

I interviewed for a NYC startup who told me their perks are free groceries from an online grocer, an office kitchen with nice appliances, and he has no problem with me bringing a sleeping bag to...

asked Dec 9 '11 at 03:40
Blank
Len
376 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
If I can find someone who will work for an employee's salary rate as a contractor, should I hire them?

I am 1 year into my own Startup Software business and all is going well. We have enough money to hire someone and after pushing 90-130 hours a week for the last 4 months, I think it's a sensible...

asked Dec 17 '11 at 19:45
Blank
Optician
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
We are an LLC from NJ, can we hire this guy from Canada, who is a temporary resident?

We are a small software based start up in NJ, we recently got a couple of projects from Canada and we're loving them. We came across this guy in Canada, he is very talented and we think he will...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 08:02
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
At what stage do startups hire a secretary?

When would you know, as a startupper, that your company needs to hire an in-house secretary to offload some of the non-mission critical work? How do you manage delegating tasks vs. making sure that...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 20:19
Blank
Dan Dascalescu
168 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
How to find early developers, from a geographically distant location?

We're a new startup, based in a developing country. There are some good developers geographically close to us, but they're in very high demand and mostly taken by the existing big companies, and...

asked Nov 29 '11 at 22:42
Blank
Hss
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.7K Views
Do you accept Certifications in lieu of Programmer Testing?

To follow up on my post earlier this month on programmer testing when hiring, let me ask a followup question. Do you skip the programming test if an applicant has a certification in the skill?

asked Nov 22 '11 at 00:34
Blank
Patrick Ny
300 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
5.03K Views
Minimum age I can pay (hire) my kids?

How old do my kids have to be before I can hire them as employees in my software company (doing clerical tasks)? Clarification : I'm asking what age can I legally (in the US) employee them and pay...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 08:45
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points