Shares Questions

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Payment methods and conditions for fresh startup

I am an Interface designer and a startup asked me to work with them. As of now they are only two people and do not have a budget, so they would offer a share in the company. I would be fine in...

asked Mar 23 '13 at 15:36
Blank
Lukas Oppermann
126 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
Equity in a business driven by software?

I am completely new to negotiating equity, and I don't know where I stand with regards to pushing back on potential offers of equity based on a new project. If anybody could give me their view on...

asked Mar 26 '13 at 01:00
Blank
Dee Mac
123 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
equity max of 23% split among "development" -- a ripoff?

I've been working on a project with three other people: one is a developer, one is a manager type, and one is a sales type. I'm a developer. The two developers were invited into the project by the...

asked Mar 29 '13 at 13:28
Blank
Brannon
146 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Angel or VC wants to invest, what are main arguments to negotiate shares vs investment?

what are main arguments to negotiate shares vs investment? I want to be prepared when the time comes and I don't want to figure out in the moment about the negotiation about shares split and how...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 04:00
Blank
South
176 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.63K Views
Partner leaving at an idea-stage start up

This question might sound dumb, but I'm at a complete loss of what to do. My friend and I discussed starting a web site business years ago. For about a year and a half, we met every other weekend...

asked Mar 10 '13 at 23:42
Blank
Mimi
26 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Equity split 50/50 and past contributions

I've checked other questions but none cover the topic of past contributions. I'm wondering how much weight does time spent before incorporating matter. Do Founder A earlier contributions have...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 00:12
Blank
Jean Pierre
48 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Legal Status of USA/UK Start up forming

I and a partner wish to set up a company. One of us lives in the UK and the other in the USA. We both want to make sure we are one legal entity so we can sell shares, or if the start-up was bought...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 21:46
Blank
Slappybag
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
Share ownership in software spinoff

I have been employed at a research consulting company for several years. During the course of running research projects, I have developed software that I use internally to run some of my projects....

asked Feb 16 '13 at 06:47
Blank
Randigoo
61 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Cofounders allocation of shares upon death

We are two cofounders with unequal shares in our startup (70/30). If something happened to one of us (death), how are the shares handled in a will? Does the surviving cofounder have to pay...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 10:42
Blank
Jez
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.38K Views
reasons for a publicly trades company to go private?

I am reading the news that Dell will attempt to go private in a multi-billion share buyout, and it states that: [Michael Dell] will attempt a revival of his struggling computer company without...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 21:33
Blank
68 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
From freelance to CTO: conditions

I am currently working as a Freelance mobile programmer for a start-up since the project started, but I have always given my opinion and advise about business development (for free), and it came...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 10:26
Blank
K20
101 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.75K Views
developer (almost co-founder?) getting 5% share

I'm in a same situtation, maybe worse as this guy: Developer, offered share in small startup company in return for large rate reduction - advice needed Two friends had an idea, they were kinda...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 00:02
Blank
User78635
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Do I have to sell my shares to my cofounder?

Our company ran low on funds about 4 months ago. We decided it would be best If I took on an advisory role and went to work elsewhere to cover my personal expenses. I have vested shares in a large...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 15:30
Blank
User23581
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Issuing shares to advisor and dealing with fractional shares

We just incorporated and are now bringing on board an advisor. We want to give him %1. Our company consists of me and two co-founders, each with 1 million shares. Our total authorized shares are 5...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 12:50
Blank
Neon Blue Hair
66 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.4K Views
Software Startup 9 Months Of Development

Possible Duplicate: What would be a fair equity distribution between me and my co-founder? I started developing a software product 9 months ago which is now ready to launch. My buddy has come on...

asked Jan 11 '13 at 01:42
Blank
User1510570
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Equity for First paid Tech-employee in a not-profitable financed Startup

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here: We are a Startup 5 months on the go with three co-founders. Since none of us can truly code we need to employ our first Web-developer and we have...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Clemens Kemper
16 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
What disadvantages are there if I have 45% of the share?

A close friend of mine wants to start an Internet business and he offered me to be his partner. I will be responsible of building the website and deal with technical issues. He will be responsible...

asked Dec 13 '12 at 09:32
Blank
Bmm
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.58K Views
Minimum Cost of Par Value for 10 million Common Shares (Delaware)

It is my understanding that many tech startups form their C Corp in Delaware and issue 10 million common shares for various reasons. My question has to do with Par Value per share. Most startups...

asked Nov 22 '12 at 04:08
Blank
Chris
120 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
How much equity should I get for developing a site where the idea isnt mine

A few months ago, I was asked to join a startup for $85k/year. All the company really had was a pretty big angel investor and one guy with the idea (wealthy father and son with the idea). Before...

asked Nov 23 '12 at 17:23
Blank
Anthonypliu
136 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.37K Views
How to divide equity between founders in university spin-off?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? The history of the project: The project started four years ago based on the works and idea of one of the...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 21:34
Blank
Robin
6 points