Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.93K Views
Should a non-techie professional start a website without a techie partner?

I am a non-IT/techie professional and have created a website through a web designing firm. Although, I have learned about various aspects of designing and running a website through reading, I am no...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 01:18
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.65K Views
How to vest founder equity with full time and part time cofounders

Here is the situation. I'm working with two other folk on our startup and we are now planning to incorporate. We're trying to figure out how to allocate founder equity between ourselves. So far,...

asked Mar 3 '10 at 08:09
Blank
Matt
113 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Bootstrapped Startup - What Legal Forms to Put In place

I am looking for a co-founder now for a project that would love to get up and running. As an initial formality are there any documents out there that can outline in basic terms what each person is...

asked Feb 17 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Aaron
124 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.57K Views
Technology cofounder vs outsourcing

I plan to start an innovative e-commerce service on mobile and web. I have the idea and industry knowledge, but very basic technical knowledge (hardware, software etc). I decided to find a...

asked Jan 25 '10 at 23:55
Blank
Startupmantra
60 points

13 Votes
6 Answers
34.3K Views
What's the difference: founder vs co-founder?

I'm not entirely clear on what's proper nomenclature... is there a difference? Say there are two individuals starting a company, is it proper to call them both "founder" or is "co-founder" the...

asked Jan 26 '10 at 04:54
Blank
Greg Belote
798 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
How to "Divorce" a co-counder in a way that leaves everyone happy

I had the idea for my startup two years ago. I discussed it with a friend and over time we agreed to be partners in the venture together, with a 50-50 equity split. We signed a tentative agreement...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 09:06
Blank
Steve French
621 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
Startup organization before incorporation

I'm beginning a startup at my school. Right now its just me doing all the work, but i am gathering a team that will ideally be my co-founders. I wont be incorporating any time soon, but i will be...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 10:29
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
Examples of reasonable equity split for sales mgr

I co-founded a BtoB technology startup about 2 years ago with one partner. In the first 1.5 years we Quit our corporate jobs and worked (mostly) full time Completed the majority of technical...

asked Jan 28 '10 at 07:40
Blank
Fractal Guy
254 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
3.22K Views
What skills to look for in a technical cofounder?

I am an aspiring entrepreneur, with experience in retail industry. I have an idea to create a web based company with web 2.0 + ecommerce features. The idea is new and I know that it would work in...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 13:31
Blank
Startupmantra
60 points

9 Votes
8 Answers
5.07K Views
What would be a fair equity distribution between me and my co-founder?

Me (software developer) and my co-founder (UI designer) are looking forward to build a SaaS startup. I would usually lean towards a 50/50 distribution, but in this particular scenario, the...

asked Jan 17 '10 at 07:02
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.41K Views
Where is a good place to meet coders?

I am not a coder. I know basic coding and some web design, enough to have come up with what i believe to be an interesting idea for a start up. I can design the website and software myself, but...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 17:25
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

10 Votes
11 Answers
6.19K Views
What's a reasonable amount of equity to retain when you're the key founder?

I'm working with two other partners to get a SaaS startup off the ground. I worked on this thing slowly, mostly on my own, for about two years before approaching my partners. As a background, I...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 18:21
Blank
Brianz
223 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
5.04K Views
Should I negotiate to be a co-founder?

My friend, six years more experienced than me, has invented a marvelous device that I consider has a huge potential in the market. He has already filed for a patent. The research is currently...

asked Dec 26 '09 at 01:55
Blank
Phaedrus
183 points

8 Votes
11 Answers
3.69K Views
Not a developer; can I still launch a startup?

I have an idea for a startup -- but I am not a developer, or an MBA. Is there hope for me and if so, how do I overcome my lack? Brief background: I've spent most of my career as a content creator....

asked Dec 31 '09 at 11:52
Blank
Aae
75 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.96K Views
Side Projects. Any Success Stories?

Any success stories out there where someone with a full time job managed to start a business in their spare time? If so, how did you do it? How do you stay motivated? Did you do it alone? On a...

asked Jan 2 '10 at 16:45
Blank
Bret
136 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
10.1K Views
Sample milestones for co-founder value-contributed equity distribution

Question: What are some sample milestones/goals to set for co-founders to allow them to gain equity for contributing value to the company, like a vesting-based equity plan. Backdrop: Let's say...

asked Dec 6 '09 at 23:13
Blank
Nbeecroft
515 points

8 Votes
9 Answers
3.51K Views
Would you go into business with someone without an agreement in place?

Would you go into business with someone who has asked you to come on board and help to get things launched, but has not yet decided how to compensate you, or whether to give you part ownership of...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 17:07
Blank
Jz199
59 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
5.17K Views
What makes a great business partner?

So the question is pretty basic, what are good qualities in a business partner? As a young freelancer I want to expand my business into a much larger company and I know I will likely need to...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 07:04
Blank
Montana Flynn
323 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.99K Views
Finding people with the entrepreneurial virus

I'm a software engineer with lots of experience in web app. development and would like to meet smart people that share my passion about startups and innovation. The problem is that although I do...

asked Dec 17 '09 at 22:25
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
7.55K Views
How late in a startup's life can you bring in other co-founders?

Is there a time in the life of a startup after which you can't bring someone on board with the "cofounder" designation? I've observed additional cofounders coming onboard past the founding event,...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 18:07
Blank
Robert
43 points