Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

7 Votes
9 Answers
6.18K Views
Programmers Working For Equity

I've been having so much trouble finding a programmer to work with. I don't have the money to pitch out to hire a developer, I've tried and failed to code on my own, and I rarely get responses from...

asked Apr 1 '11 at 15:27
Blank
User9107
36 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
3.01K Views
How do you hire your first people to your startup?

I really wonder how do you hire your first employees if you were working on an internet startup alone. I really wonder if there are experienced people which started their startup alone and expand...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 14:08
Blank
To Rr0t
69 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.74K Views
Should I drop my co-founder?

So I started building this company back in January, completely on my own. I knew there would be a lot of work to be done, so just recently I told a PHP buddy about the site. He got really excited...

asked Apr 7 '11 at 23:54
Blank
Edit This
88 points

14 Votes
5 Answers
3.39K Views
When to drop a co-founder?

There are some excellent posts on how to select a co-founder and what qualities you should look for. I firmly believe in 'try it out', and have been for about 5 months. In that time I've also come...

asked Mar 29 '11 at 10:51
Blank
Rsg
313 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.33K Views
Where to look for co-founder with marketing skills

I have worked about an year on my startup website and I found that I need co-founder that would be able to sell ice to the eskimo nation online (online: marketing, sale and PR. But more of manager...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 10:13
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
When looking for co-founder, what can be expected

What problems did you run into form the point where you started your search for co-founder to the point where you struck a deal. Also what are some good ideas that would make the process...

asked Mar 17 '11 at 10:33
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
4.31K Views
How many shares of stock to create when starting a company

I am thinking of creating a startup and want to allocate stock to various co-founders. Is there any sort of system for knowing how many shares to create of a new company?

asked Mar 21 '11 at 04:48
Blank
Zachary K
208 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
How do I find a technical co-founder for a Web based startup?

I have deep knowledge and experience in a specific industry. I can identify a web based business model that has been successfully deployed in another industry that I believe would be applicable to...

asked Mar 13 '11 at 08:06
Blank
Mike Walsh
745 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
3.17K Views
Should young people get older cofounders?

When you're a young and relatively inexperienced founder, should age be a factor in choosing a co-founder (or in deciding if you need a co-founder at all)? Does having someone on board who's...

asked Mar 14 '11 at 04:44
Blank
Aks
36 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.77K Views
Compensation for Co-founders, plus additional vested equity

I have a company share proposal for co-founders of a web-application startup. I would like to if the structure makes sense, or if anyone can suggest a more suitable structure, which has the desired...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Michael Parks
3 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
Fair stake for a technical strategist?

First time posting to this Q&A so please be kind! I and a partner are looking to build a web community. However, my partner and I are both business folks. We understand to build a successful...

asked Feb 11 '11 at 01:55
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
How to build a founding team

I am working on a startup idea, and currently I am taking it solo. I would very much like to have 1-2 other people to work on it with me. I am a programmer, and I would like a 2nd programmer, and...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 14:11
Blank
Zachary K
208 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
How to deal with a partner who doesn't want to leave his day-job?

I'm a biz dev & marketing guy with a development background and about a year ago I started coding an idea. It took shape and I mentioned it to an ex-colleague / friend. He was extremely unhappy...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 11:37
Blank
Dinosaur Jr
11 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Renegotiations with my co-founders: how big a stake?

Three sentence history: I was brought in on an opportunity by the original "idea" person. After trying out a few others, there ended up being a total of three of us. The initial project was going...

asked Jan 14 '11 at 10:34
Blank
Matt
180 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.22K Views
Idea for a product outside my competency - how to proceed?

I have an idea for a very niche/boutique slightly naughty chocolate product to be sold online, but I am not sure how to approach it. The product will require moulding/shaping chocolate into a...

asked Jan 25 '11 at 06:41
Blank
Ivan Zlatev
216 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
How to Assess Integrity of a Potential Hire?

Warren Buffet says, "Hire people based on Passion,Intelligence and Integrity." People's passion is visible in the first meeting, and intelligence comes out in a couple of hours in a discussion, but...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 07:55
Blank
Syed
445 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.71K Views
Compensation for co-founders and employees in a startup

In my earlier venture attempts, the scenario was something like 3 guys, each of whom would get 33.3%. I found out soon that this was silly because as soon as one of us lost interest, he could do...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 03:38
Blank
John Berryman
388 points

10 Votes
8 Answers
4.06K Views
While working on my startup, should I keep track of my time?

I'm a cofounder at a startup. One thing I have been thinking about alot lately is time tracking. I usually spend the day at the office, and then I get home and continue to work on more stuff. I...

asked Dec 23 '10 at 17:13
Blank
Alex Cook
641 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.37K Views
The case of a co-founder (seeking answers on compensation/equity stake)

I am writing to describe my entrepreneurial venture and seek your comments on what I should expect for myself as the new company gets started. My colleague of many years at my previous company (a...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 00:51
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How to share the profit in a LLP company?

After successfully building an online business as sole proprietor, I decided register my company as Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) company. Now we are two partners. How will we share the...

asked Dec 9 '10 at 17:16
Blank
User5879
9 points