Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.62K Views
What percentage to give UI/UX designer co-founder?

This is a general question for company shares: My partner and I have an equal stake in our company. We want to bring in a designer since both of us suck at UI. We have one in mind. Since we own...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:53
Blank
Joe
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Cofounders allocation of shares upon death

We are two cofounders with unequal shares in our startup (70/30). If something happened to one of us (death), how are the shares handled in a will? Does the surviving cofounder have to pay...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 10:42
Blank
Jez
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Single Founder Rate of Success

I've spent quite a lot of time, met quite a lot of people, but still am failing at trying to find a cofounder for my startup. I've gone to numerous tech-meetups, met 1:1 with quite a few people,...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 00:41
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Do I have to sell my shares to my cofounder?

Our company ran low on funds about 4 months ago. We decided it would be best If I took on an advisory role and went to work elsewhere to cover my personal expenses. I have vested shares in a large...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 15:30
Blank
User23581
16 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
2.95K Views
how to proceed with negotiations with contractor/early employee

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I am one of three cofounders at an early stage startup. We have been working with an outsourced developer...

asked Jan 21 '13 at 09:55
Blank
B B
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
When is a business cofounder needed

I am technical founder right now of my own software startup. Right now, I'm developing the software and am seeking a business cofounder. I lack domain expertise in the various parts of the...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 06:30
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Designer Pay and Equity

We have a physical product, with proprietary IP. My partner and I own 98.25% combined. We issued 1.75% ownership to a designer who wanted equity versus working "freelance". The designer owns his...

asked Jan 4 '13 at 10:47
Blank
User22379
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Startup equity for co-founder

I've been working at a pre-launch startup for the past year (going to launch in the next several weeks). I'm supposed to sign my Stock Purchase Agreement soon, but wanted to run this by to see if I...

asked Jan 10 '13 at 07:03
Blank
Rabid Zombie
113 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Why investor require start-up having a co-founder?

I contacted a lot of investors and accelerators. I found most of them don`t care about the product itself too much, but strongly requiring start-up should have a co-founder. Why? Perhaps some of...

asked Dec 15 '12 at 09:26
Blank
Anlai
375 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.82K Views
VP wants to resign

My boyfriend and i started an export company 2 years ago. I own 50% of the company. He holds a position as a President/CEO. We do not have a lot of assets but we have quite a few of liabilities...

asked Dec 21 '12 at 01:26
Blank
Cynthia M Karp
26 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
A case of co-founder misalignment

tldr; In a company with 3 co-founders, 2(say Adam and Charlie) are pulling in opposite directions, and everything is being decided by committee or things don't move fast enough. Need help exploring...

asked Dec 25 '12 at 20:12
Blank
Founder X
21 points

9 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Late founder equity allocation

Guy is late coming founder, the company not yet incorporated. I designed the product (several biomed multisensor devices) and taken it from concept to a mature prototype ready for manufacturing (1...

asked Dec 26 '12 at 00:03
Blank
User22242
46 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Will my ex-partner have claim over my new business?

Background: My friend and I talked about building an application, saying this is the idea, let's see if we can develop something around it. After thinking about it for a few weeks it seemed not...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 18:40
Blank
Patrick Long
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Technical Co-Founder Contract

There are a couple startups I'm thinking about joining. They are in very early stages (seed round or incubation). I am interested in the position of technical co-founder. They've all asked that we...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 09:57
Blank
Scott Coates
111 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Can I divorce a co-founder

There are currently 3 cofounders and 1 of them is an engineer other 2 are sales representatives. Many of the times technical cofounder doesn't agree with our views and is backed by his team...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 21:51
Blank
Santu
156 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.52K Views
Deciding between equal and unequal equity splits

I have read the multiple threads about equity splits but I am getting mixed answers. Mainly between this thread which pointed me to this The Founders' Pie Calculator which states it is a rookie,...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 09:00
Blank
Console
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.24K Views
CTO, what are the key elements that define your vision?

Maybe i'm mixing CTO with VP of Engineering here. But as a CTO early on in a 5 person startup that haven't built a prototype yet...What are the key topics or areas that you must have a vision for...

asked Dec 8 '12 at 12:59
Blank
Rbend
18 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Functional model of co-founders work

Here's the problem for software development startup. We're two. One can do a decent hard-skill programming. The other one don't know anything, except he has some capital ( approx. less than 10k,...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 19:13
Blank
Peter
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.62K Views
Toughest Exercise: Equity Split

Possible Duplicate: Is performance based equity vesting possible? Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? The venture was started by "A" and "B". "A" worked full...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 06:27
Blank
User13405
101 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.55K Views
What should be the role of other person I involve in Startup given my scenario

What shall be the role of the person I am involving in launching my start-up(about to register and launch), As initially I see me and him performing project management part of it(as implementation...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 19:25
Blank
Goku
58 points