Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Equity share in product not company

thanks for taking the time to read this, any advise is welcomed. A friend of mine is trying to get launch a new piece of software. As we work well together and he wants to keep initial development...

asked Jul 4 '12 at 08:05
Blank
Craig5
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Evaluating initial contribution in a business startup

Here’s a business scenario involving two persons: Person A: - has business strategy and technology road map for a line of business in software - has 4-5 customer prospects who are interested in...

asked Jun 6 '12 at 18:45
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

13 Votes
4 Answers
4.08K Views
My co-founder turned out to be a lazy person, how should I talk to him?

My co-founder simply comes to the office whenever he wants, some days he "prefer working from home" and such. I just can't stand the fact I am there 12+ hours and him less then 8. There is a lot to...

asked Jun 9 '12 at 04:11
Blank
Anon
66 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
Am I a cofounder and how many equity shares should I take?

An engineer creates a product with most fundamental functions and is almost ready to establish a new company. He wants me to be in charge of the marketing for the new company/product. For now, only...

asked Jun 11 '12 at 00:53
Blank
Thomas Jackson
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
Unorthodox Startup Formation

Two other founders and I are planning to start an S-class tech firm. All of us have a government background and are new to the process: one founder is the notional CFO and has thus far handled the...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 04:40
Blank
Fox
126 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Existing startup new co-founder equity

I have been building a SAAS product for a vertical industry for the last two years. The product is now pretty mature. As a geek my sales and marketing skills are pretty rubbish so am are looking at...

asked May 27 '12 at 20:53
Blank
Craig
219 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Importance of Business Networking in a Tech Company

Everybody seems to think the opposite, but does it really matters how well you are connected with others entrepreneurs, developers or VCs when you own a tech company? It seems obvious that it...

asked May 30 '12 at 23:08
Blank
Hartator
116 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.53K Views
Vesting for large group of part-time cofounders

I am involved with a startup that has a very unique structure. We started as friends, all working in our spare time, never intending for it to become a business. Eventually, it started catching on...

asked May 31 '12 at 14:32
Blank
Lbc
16 points

1 Votes
8 Answers
3.06K Views
Do 2 Part time Developers = 1 full time developer?

If I could partner with 2 or more part time developers, would this be enough and as good as having a full time developer? Eg 4 part time developers = 2 full time developers? I am basing this on...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 00:20
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
I want to be a Tech Co Founder- how do I get noticed?

Possible Duplicate: How to find potential co-founders for a startup? I'm a developer with about 25 years of experience under my belt. Currently working on P2P programming and Ruby on Rails....

asked May 16 '12 at 09:31
Blank
Karan
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
Resolving a cofounder conflict in product direction and equity

My team has 3 founders: 2 technical & 1 non-technical. We just started a few months ago. The non-technical 1 is like the VP Marketing: has a few key contacts for our launch strategy, built our...

asked Apr 29 '12 at 23:30
Blank
Peter
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
Co-founder with non-voting shares

I have an offer on a table to join this really exciting venture at 50/50 split as a tech co-founder but the original founder insists on issuing me non-voting shares. He worries that he will loose...

asked May 4 '12 at 08:44
Blank
Tech Cofounder
21 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.46K Views
Starting out, what should co-founders focus on more, structure or results?

Roughly only 30% of the potential co-founders I chat with for 5-mins or more believe that getting meaningful results in the real world is less important than first reaching agreements about who...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 02:20
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.17K Views
Contract for start-up employees and how to secure myself as the leader of the company

I'm a computer science student and have had an idea for a website for a while. Up until now, I haven't told anyone about it(even my family and girlfriend). Anyways, I decided to tell a friend of...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 14:15
Blank
Logan Besecker
158 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
How old does one legally have to be to start/own a share in a company in the US?

I am 18 but my co-founder is 17. (In other words, I am able to sign a binding contract, he is not.) We are getting ready to incorporate our startup — but is my co-founder old enough to start, and...

asked Apr 25 '12 at 02:23
Blank
David Kendal
28 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2K Views
Thoughts on equity split

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this situation: I am a developer that has worked on a on 2 products for...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 05:12
Blank
Jack Jones
101 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Issues with Start-Up and Co-Founders

Currently I am stuck in a messy situation where I am the only designer/developer for the web driven start up, along with being co-founder, the other two co-founders (business guy and editor), are...

asked Apr 12 '12 at 03:23
Blank
Izzy
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Is it necessary to have a Co-founder and team and then go to VC

I have single-handedly written all code needed for an alpha/beta till date. Now i want to go beta and hire marketing professionals and a developer. For that i need money and VC funds. Shall i...

asked Apr 13 '12 at 23:02
Blank
aditya tiwari
8 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.27K Views
cofounder - she's not leaving

So I've got a startup with a three friends of mine cofounding and on board. We used to have a fourth. When we originally started and got all of our documents in order, the fourth girl received a...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 07:00
Blank
Sdchargers
26 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.34K Views
Co-Founder or First Employee ? How much equity?

Joined together to create a new venture with my ex-boss, we shared a great work dynamics and gelled well together, had complimentary skills & liked the idea and hence I decided to start...

asked Mar 31 '12 at 04:30
Blank
Roby
11 points