Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.81K Views
Co-founder question

This is my first startup. I was working with a friend on his startup. He was going to offer me 20% of the company and we worked on it for 4 months. The idea was good but we ran out of money before...

asked Nov 29 '12 at 15:58
Blank
Devin Shavenoff
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
Terms of agreement with a co-founder after split-up

I recently quit working with my co-founder. We had started a software business together and had agreed on a certain profit share. But shortly after the launch of the apps, we had to split because...

asked Nov 13 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.04K Views
Joining a startup

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? Apologies for the lack of brevity, but I wanted to give you a full picture of the situation. Appreciate...

asked Nov 18 '12 at 21:45
Blank
Aj Yusuf
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Rating potential business partners or co-founders for building the right network

I have the problem that i always meet the wrong people. Most of the people i know on the one hand don't want to be self employed or on the other hand want to found a business but are to optimistic...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 20:14
Blank
Zoidbergi
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
We are bootstrapping our startup, Is this a fair compensation offer?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? We have a team made up of four co-founders. Our equity split is: Co-founder #1 40% Co-founder #2...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 07:41
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.4K Views
How to divide equity between founders in university spin-off?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? The history of the project: The project started four years ago based on the works and idea of one of the...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 21:34
Blank
Robin
6 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.68K Views
Technical Cofounder - How much equity do I ask for?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? So, the situation is this: Last year I was working freelance, and I was commissioned to build a web app....

asked Nov 5 '12 at 04:16
Blank
Bluepnume
121 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.13K Views
Change in equity split when founder is dying?

I'm currently involved in a software start up with two other people. Abe started the company a couple years ago. He outsourced development for $100k. He's worked a lot of hours, but on a part time...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 17:49
Blank
Robbie
62 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Question about terminating contract with employee

Not sure if this the right place to ask but here it goes: We (myself and 2 founders) found our startup about a year ago. Then we brought on an employee to work part-time and had him sign a...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 06:45
Blank
User19965
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
What are main functions of a start up that need continous attention

So we are 2 co-founders having a full time job and from the last 14 months are working on a social network. I wanted to share the name of our start up here, but somehow I think that would be cheap...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 01:30
Blank
Rajiv Singh
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.81K Views
H1B co-founder for company that may not make profit for 3-4 years

Our question is very similar to this one: While H1B can I work on my interested Idea as Startup with no intention of earning? We have one co-founder on a H1B visa who we want to make a legal...

asked Oct 7 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Sam
20 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Dealing with Co-founder without the same commitment

Imagine the following scenario: 1 founder and self proclaimed CEO , created an idea for a new website internet services, and started developing it. The core of the system is done, he decides that...

asked Oct 15 '12 at 02:26
Blank
South
176 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.24K Views
How to fire a co-founder that owns 30% of shares?

Co-founder performance in the startup has dropped. He clearly has other priorities in his professional life, like other startups, and he doesn't want to give up his 30% shares. The only written...

asked Oct 16 '12 at 05:35
Blank
South
176 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
Do investors run away from entrepreneurs that have interests in 2 start-ups at the same time?

I am involved in 2 bootstrapped startups at the moment: startup 1 : I am a co-founder, have executive position and I work full time on it startup 2: I am a co-founder and provided a quite...

asked Sep 27 '12 at 05:10
Blank
Wewill See
53 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Partnership disagreement

My business partner and I have formed a partnership, we are in the process of drafting our partnership agreement. One of the points that he wants on there is: If one of the partners leaves they...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 03:02
Blank
Ryan Murphy
108 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.36K Views
To the Coders...what would you consider acceptable terms to join a new start up?

If you were approached by an idea guy (one with not much money), and lets say that the idea itself was an 8 to 10...what would you consider acceptable terms to join the start up? If you could give...

asked Aug 24 '12 at 09:57
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.48K Views
Advice on starting a company where founders are in different countries?

My co-founder and I are reaching a point where we need to make some decisions about where and how to incorporate. One of us is in the US (California) where most of our customers will be for the...

asked Aug 15 '12 at 05:53
Blank
Jwf
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.68K Views
what is a fair percentage ownership for sole developer of tech startup (4th co-founder)?

My husband was brought on as a 4th partner of a startup last year. Unfortunately, he did not take the LLC legal docs to a lawyer to make sure the % he was being offered was fair before signing. He...

asked Jul 27 '12 at 16:38
Blank
Tracy
11 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.22K Views
Do I need a technical cofounder?

I am in the very early stages of my first startup. I am not technical so I was wondering if getting a technical cofounder should be my first step or if I can go it alone with just my idea at first?...

asked Jul 29 '12 at 06:23
Blank
Peter
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Seeking advice on the order in which to do things

So we have our idea, the site map pretty much laid out and designed, and now we are ready to start looking for a development team. Right now we have three founders and we are looking for one...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 08:42
Blank
Derek
164 points