Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
How is the % of equity given to an investor divided between partners?

When giving a percentage in equity to an investor, is the % taken equally from the existing members of a corporation (partners/shareholders)? I'm asking this question, as I currently have the...

asked Aug 28 '13 at 07:35
Blank
Daniel Johnson
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
What's a fair share to give when adding a designer as a co-founder?

In the last 6 months I was working on stop motion app for Android. Now the app gets around 100 download per day in Google Play (first month) and around 50,000 picture was taken so far, and I'm...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 04:20
Blank
Jimmy
111 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.26K Views
Founder Stock Split in a startup (Full-time vs. Part-time founders)?

A & B have started a company a few months back. Both of them have built the product together and are equally enthusiastic about its success. However, Mr. A has been involved full time (in the...

asked Sep 1 '13 at 03:58
Blank
Andysax
6 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
Co-founder/Majority Owner running company to the ground, what can I do?

Background: I am the CTO, co-founder and sole inventor of a very promising technology company (<25 people) and are sitting on a multi-billion $ opportunity, seriously!) . I now have a minority...

asked Aug 16 '13 at 04:32
Blank
Gupshup
52 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.16K Views
Should I (cofounder) give up my voting rights?

I am a cofounder with shares that have voting rights. We have 3 founders - One with majority shares (a little more than the other two combined). I come from tech background while other 2 founders...

asked Aug 19 '13 at 05:48
Blank
Santu
156 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.85K Views
Taking on a co founder

I have been trying to start my own tech startup for a year and half. During this time i built significant IP and invested my time and effort. I have a database of users and mailing list. I have...

asked Aug 19 '13 at 13:48
Blank
Kris
1 point

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
How to make people take initiative?

We are in a bit of a rough situation here. We have a team of 8 that seems to be committed to what we are doing. Most of them have full time jobs. Our start-up is more like a part-time or side thing...

asked Aug 6 '13 at 16:47
Blank
Noah
138 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.56K Views
Co-founders: do long-distance relationships work?

A partner and I are working on a web-based service and have reached the prototype phase - I've completed a working prototype of the website and we are now in the process of refining what we have....

asked Aug 7 '13 at 02:02
Blank
Shereth
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Finding a technical co-founder as a young entrepreneur?

I am looking for a technical co-founder to join myself and the other founder in the development of some software for a start-up with with a great market. The problem is I'm 16. We both have some...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 00:09
Blank
Jason
41 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.32K Views
Finding A Tech Co-Founder

I have been working on my internet startup and need a tech co-founder to help me get the project actually going. I am finding it extremely hard to find a co-founder with programming...

asked Jul 7 '13 at 05:49
Blank
Dillon Carter
14 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.9K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.28K Views
Having a parent as a co-founder, issues and solutions

My dad has a business idea. Being much older than me, and having previously worked in software companies for decades, my dad is more experienced in business than I am - although he has never ran or...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 16:56
Blank
Kevin
31 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
How to make sure I get a fair share of the company

A potential partner and I discussed one of my ideas. The idea is mine and at the time of discussion, it was not clear that we would be partners. I was essentially discussing ideas with an industry...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 11:54
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Part-time co-founder is leaving, how can he hand back equity?

I had a part-time co-founder but he is leaving. How can he hand back equity? I'm based in the UK and I've heard of a form called J10, but once this is done how do we change the information...

asked Jul 16 '13 at 09:58
Blank
Olive
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Do I need a co-founder?

I am a professional developer, and I work on the side on my own projects. I incorporated a company about a year ago, and my last side-project generates about $400 a month. I have now started...

asked Jul 16 '13 at 22:38
Blank
Antipasti
3 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
Equity split for IP contributor vs part-time founder

I am founding a startup and trying to determine the correct equity split to expect. The situation is that at my former company (Company A), I developed some software, which is currently owned by...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 00:16
Blank
Randigoo
61 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
What is the best way to get an unvested co-founder to resign?

founder on a team of 4. 3 of us agree that one co-founder who has been with the company since the beginning (~9 months) needs to leave. We’re all on a stock vesting agreement, and none of our...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 03:56
Blank
User27015
1 point

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.7K Views
co-founder not pulling their weight

My co-founder and I have been working on my idea for the past 18 months. Throughout, despite statements of their commitment, I have always done the vast majority of the work. We have had serious...

asked Jun 4 '13 at 07:34
Blank
User26519
6 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
6.96K Views
Can fund my own startup in return for equity if that dilutes ex-cofounders?

My biz partner and I split up (not amicably) a couple of months ago, and he left my bootstrapped startup business. When he left, his total equity in the company was vested up to 20%. I own the...

asked Jun 5 '13 at 07:58
Blank
John B.
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
How can I protect my future position in a startup?

I took part alone in a 4 months acceleration program for startups, during which I worked on the idea, I did market and customer research and all the usual things needed before start a new company....

asked Jun 10 '13 at 06:51
Blank
Andrea
26 points