Co-Founder Questions

What are the pros and cons of starting a business alone versus with cofounders? How many founders are too many?

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
IP: Maintain property over source code

I have code of mine, developed before joining the company as a co-founder, that I used for the company product (website) but want to retain the copyright and all IP rights to it and to be able to...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 12:32
Blank
Jj.
29 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Side projects while being a co-founder and officer of a company

There is already an awesome question and answers on IP and spare time related to employees: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Jj.
29 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Licensed software and due diligence: sufficient?

In the process of due diligence for an investment or for M&A, I ask: Considering that all other software is property of the company, is it sufficient to have a non-core part of the software,...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 16:36
Blank
Jj.
29 points

8 Votes
8 Answers
10.8K Views
Co-founder wants to leave, do I pay him back the money he invested into the business?

My co-founder and I have been working on a business idea. We both invested money into getting it to a MVP stage, but it hasn't been launched and does not make any money. (It is basically a modified...

asked Apr 2 '12 at 01:25
Blank
Fernandose
41 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Bringing in co-founder after launch

I have been bootstrapping for 1.5 years, coding part-time while keeping my full time job. I have also invested some 10k into my project. Now, the workload seems to pile up over time, and I know I...

asked Apr 5 '12 at 12:33
Blank
Victor
593 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Looking for a business development co-founder

As a start up that has already a development team and a product in beta status we are looking for a co-founder that could bring the start up to the next level. I found some resources about how to...

asked Mar 14 '12 at 08:44
Blank
Felix Albrecht
11 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.74K Views
as one of the co-founders, can i have an equity and profit share both in mother holding corporation and subsidiary holding corporation?

the funders for my projects plan to put up a holding corporation. this holding corporation is intended to fund feasible projects by various project proponents not only those projects by me but...

asked Mar 14 '12 at 13:48
Blank
Lovelyvixen
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
Do two co-founders pair program during early stage of startup?

I have a startup with 2 co-founders (me and my partner). My partner is a programmer, whereas I am a half-programmer, half-designer, half-business guy. I have had exceptional experience with pair...

asked Mar 17 '12 at 17:41
Blank
Victor
593 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.19K Views
Startup equity share among co-founders: What is the fair thing to do

In a startup company, there are 4 people involved, and all of them work on a sweat equity basis. Here are the people and their role: Person #1: Helped shape the idea with person #2. One of the two...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Dave
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
Founder Shares for new venture - when one founder is only an advisor?

I am starting a new company with a long friend. He had the original idea but we both developed the idea and spent approx equal amount of funds to get it to the state of developing and launching...

asked Mar 21 '12 at 02:45
Blank
New Biz Guy
1 point

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.43K Views
Am I a co-founder?

I'm trying to figure out what my role is... Backstory: Late last year (October/November) I was asked by an acquaintance If I'd be keen to help develop a SaaS product that he & his brother had...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 16:42
Blank
Kyebosh
18 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Dealing with uncooperative co-founders

Just Started a business with some co-founders. How do I set up a system so that: When a co-founder is unwilling to work/cooperate with the rest of the team He/she is removed Thanks

asked Mar 7 '12 at 13:27
Blank
Tommy T
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
How to divide assets of a defunct business?

I'm going through a breakup right now with my partner, where he and I started the company as 50/50 owners and then later brought on a third party which was then split 38/38/24 between us. This was...

asked Mar 11 '12 at 16:53
Blank
Devin
36 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Introducing the idea to friends I'd like to add to the startup - How to and at which conditions?

I'm in the process of trying to establish my first startup. At the moment I'm working with a friend of mine on developing the idea, and we had already created a prototype for our product on a...

asked Feb 21 '12 at 04:50
Blank
Orchestrator
149 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.33K Views
Equity for a technical cofounder

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I'm a developer who has been in contact with a nontechnical cofounder to become the technical cofounder in...

asked Feb 22 '12 at 08:38
Blank
Fred
6 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
4.5K Views
What to do with equity when leaving a startup you co-founded?

I have already read many of the posts here about this topic and I got very good insights already but I was hoping to get some tailored advice for my situation. I have been working two years in a...

asked Mar 1 '12 at 05:24
Blank
Throw Away 222
33 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
How to evaluate startup co-founders based on testing their leanness and agility skills?

My guess is as in most cases existing relationships and/or validated relevant past experiences are a great start, but wondering on a ad-hoc basis what the best way to evaluate startup co-founders...

asked Mar 2 '12 at 06:33
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.76K Views
Is multitasking in a start-up (even a big company) advised?

Im asking this as im not sure whether it is better to have partners, who are good in more than one discipline (eg sales/marketing and development/programming), share their time across departments...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 21:48
Blank
I Scotts
152 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
11.3K Views
Non-diluting equity for founders on an early startup LLC

The CEO of a LLC early startup plans to assign non-dilutable equity to the founders. Each founder will take a small amount of equity, leaving a pool for future employees and investors. IMHO, what...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 02:38
Blank
Anon User
62 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.97K Views
Equity split and keeping control of an early startup LLC in the long term

The CEO of an early stage LLC plans to keep control of the company in the long term. To achieve this, he plans on keeping at least 51% of the equity. The company has 6 founders in total. While it...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 04:31
Blank
Anon User
62 points