Can I start a company in India while working in the USA on an H1B?


Can I start an internet-based company in India, while working in the USA on an H1B visa? Will I be able to incorporate in India and pay taxes? Is it allowed? What are my options?

India Incorporation Tax

asked Jul 20 '11 at 23:14
6 points

2 Answers


If you are working currently in the US on a H1-B visa, you can start a business, as long as you do not work for that company. You can only work for the company that sponsored your H1B and only the kind of work specified in the petition. There are no exceptions to this rule.

However, you can establish a company and appoint a director or CEO to run your business. You would essentially be an absentee business owner and would be restricted from having any significant role in the company, which is a deal breaker for most people.

answered Oct 29 '11 at 17:35
Jason Colantuoni
437 points


Yes you can. However you might need another director in India. This will depend on the type of company. You need to get hold of a good CA.

answered Oct 29 '11 at 12:51
1,072 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

India Incorporation Tax