Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.36K Views
Is it is legal to work for personal use/in another company, while working in another private firm?

I'm working as an iOS application developer for the past 2 plus years. Now I would like to register my own developer account to iTunes for uploading my private apps. If I create an iOS...

asked Nov 24 '13 at 01:53
Blank
Thampuran
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.12K Views
What's a basic "I'm not responsible for anything" legal policy?

I'm beginning to put out lightweight online communities pretty quickly -- about 1 every week! Many of these communities are oriented toward social change, and aim to provide the necessary...

asked Oct 27 '13 at 06:42
Blank
Themirror
130 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
1.42K Views
Can I copy from a few different terms of service pages from competitors?

I'm working with little funds so hiring a lawyer isn't an option. I'm starting a website like gazelle.com, nextworth.com, etc. and I was wondering if I can just use their concepts and piece...

asked Oct 30 '13 at 15:10
Blank
Colton
26 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.64K Views
How close to a trademark can I get before I'm at risk of getting sued?

Background So, you may have heard of the "Net Promoter Score" which is trademarked term and is a metric for customer satisfaction and loyalty. Basically, there is a formula for calculating the...

asked Nov 6 '13 at 09:28
Blank
Kristian
141 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.26K Views
What stops another company from copying your idea?

I got asked this question at a local venture conference recently when pitching our product. I've heard this question a handful of times and I really would like to get some honest feedback on the...

asked Oct 1 '13 at 12:19
Blank
George Mc Dowd
109 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Would requiring a Sweepstakes entrant to use a program (free trial) for 5 minutes make that a Lottery and incur additional legal requirements?

There are three types of "giveaways": Contest (requires skill) Sweepstakes (random chance of winning) Lottery you pay for a chance. But something like a Facebook "like" is considered...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What are the UK company drawbacks for foreign owners?

we won a grant in an Italian incubator, and to receive that we should establish an Italian company. However, looking forward to gain international investments, we'd prefer having a German or,...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 17:35
Blank
Serg Ik S
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Do subscription websites require a DBA?

I have a content website I will begin charging a monthly subscription fee for soon. The receipt the members receive each month will have the website's name on it, my name is not in the website name...

asked Oct 9 '13 at 23:09
Blank
Chad
108 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
Do I need any permit from US government for my startup website?

We have just finished and launched our web project. It is a kind of social platform for companies one of its tasks also enable companies to publish jobs advertisements. Every country would have a...

asked Oct 11 '13 at 23:44
Blank
Disconnect25
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Legal aspects of making a for-profit website?

Disclaimer: I've crossposted on Reddit. I'll preface this by saying that I'm in Canada, so some of the legal aspects might differ from the US, but I'm sure lots of them carry across. I'm...

asked Oct 15 '13 at 13:50
Blank
Jmite
101 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Should you add a cookie warning to your site?

Most sites (including mine) use cookies for analytics, and tracking site logins. I'm not explicitly targeting European users, and my servers are not based in Europe, but do I still need to add a...

asked Oct 17 '13 at 12:27
Blank
Steve
310 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.36K Views
If I want to start my own Software Company and Employ people abroad - do I need to register with RCA for a business number?

To begin I am a software enthusiast with minimal business experience. I want to start a sole proprietorship where I develop ideas and then have people help me develop them for me. (people...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:30
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.44K Views
How long after employment termination is it OK to file the patent for an idea being developed after leaving employer?

An idea came to me while I was employed. The idea is within my broader field of expertise, but completely unrelated to the projects I was doing for my employer. I started working on the idea after...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 08:20
Blank
D. Terry
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
Is it better to incorporate when deciding to design software and market it yourself?

Suppose I had an idea for a software and I wanted to hire offshore developers/contractors to help me with this idea. Would it be more efficient/better for me if I incorporated? Will IP...

asked Sep 14 '13 at 01:44
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.1K Views
Contract where a person is paid once a certain condition is met

I've built a website, and now I need a contract written for it (along with a TOS and a privacy policy, but those are simpler, and I know their names). I want a contract where I pay a person once a...

asked Sep 18 '13 at 04:47
Blank
James G.
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
UK Company Doing US Start-Up

UK company wants to start up a subsidiary in the US. The first employee and the person heading it up will be a Canadian citizen living in Montreal. What issues if any does this structure pose?

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:39
Blank
Jim Thompson
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.25K Views
What makes an online contract legally binding?

I'm looking at starting my own remote I.T support company. As the work would be done remotely, I won't be seeing the customers face to face to sign documents. If I made my own website which stated...

asked Sep 22 '13 at 23:37
Blank
Muffinbubble
115 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.41K Views
Someone wants to use my app name

I have n app on the App Store it doesn't doing terribly well because I am neglecting it a little but I intend to go back to it soon. Basically a big gaming company has approached me and wanted to...

asked Sep 25 '13 at 05:33
Blank
Chris
31 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
What are the legal responsibilities of a company director in the UK?

I've developed an application with a couple of friends, and we want to publish it on various app stores. This requires a business bank account and VAT registration, and after some reading , the...

asked Sep 25 '13 at 22:33
Blank
Ed Hinchliffe
118 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
How much protection can the terms of service actually provide?

Context: (based in the USA) I am building an online marketplace for services and am wondering on how much protection I can get from my terms of service. I am thinking of starting this business...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 11:03
Blank
Train
23 points