Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.3K Views
Can a employee do his own business in India?

Is this legally fine if a employee does his own business. As he works daily at his office (employer's place) while his employees (personal business) handles his business and he can tally all...

asked Jul 14 '13 at 04:46
Blank
Jaczjill
104 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
How to employ independent contractors on a recurring basis?

In my startup I plan to hire independent contractors for recurring ad-hoc jobs. If freelancers are usually not business entities and do not have a possibility to give an invoice, how can I legally...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 00:20
Blank
Shikaka
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Do you think its important to have an office space for startups?

What about a flexible, short term - office space like Regus? What are your thoughts about it?

asked Jul 17 '13 at 01:33
Blank
Shweta
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
What is the best way to get an unvested co-founder to resign?

founder on a team of 4. 3 of us agree that one co-founder who has been with the company since the beginning (~9 months) needs to leave. We’re all on a stock vesting agreement, and none of our...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 03:56
Blank
User27015
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
Can I create open source out of an idea I voiced at my current employer after I quit?

Can I create open source out of an idea I voiced at my current employer after I quit? I've had this idea which would make the work my company does, and its competitors, more efficient. I voiced...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 10:45
Blank
Btd
11 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.94K Views
Do infographics need to have a disclaimer?

I would like to create some infographics to publish them on Pinterest, twitter and the blog on my website. As my infographic will contain some public available financial data about companies listed...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 21:52
Blank
Alex R
99 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
Legality of accepting users only of a particular ethnic group

I'm in the process of launching a matchmaking service that aims to serve a particular ethnic group. I'm wondering if this in any way might constitute discrimination. I know there are countless...

asked Jun 4 '13 at 13:11
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
7.01K Views
Can fund my own startup in return for equity if that dilutes ex-cofounders?

My biz partner and I split up (not amicably) a couple of months ago, and he left my bootstrapped startup business. When he left, his total equity in the company was vested up to 20%. I own the...

asked Jun 5 '13 at 07:58
Blank
John B.
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
LLC, single person, internet-only business: what state am I "doing business" in if I'm perma-travelling?

I have a question similar to this one, with one difference: I'm going to be running my business while travelling the world over the next few years, both in the US and out. (I'm a resident of...

asked Jun 12 '13 at 15:56
Blank
Archagon
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Company Minutes: exactly how?

I have a small limited company (Hong-Kong, but I believe it follows U.K. company law closely, which is why I've tagged this question UK). I am a shareholder and the sole director. There are other...

asked Jun 13 '13 at 18:48
Blank
User26625
86 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
What address do I use to register LLC

I need some suggestion on the current situation that I am in. I am currently in PA, I have decided to start my web-based company and I've decided to move to the Bay Area by the end of this month. I...

asked Jun 17 '13 at 13:27
Blank
Ayrton Senna
124 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.89K Views
Find legal document by a portion (content) of it

I'am about to start an IT company. Among other things I need Terms-and-Conditions and Privacy-Policy documents. As far as I know I can get such by: writing them by myself; by a lawyer; or buying...

asked Jun 18 '13 at 05:24
Blank
Basic
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.38K Views
Wanting to start up whilst employer is in same industry

I am currently employed in queensland Australia and working for a company who delivers training to industry, they have developed online learning resources and a few websites for industry bodies. I...

asked Jun 25 '13 at 19:54
Blank
Jonny
21 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Ownership Issue of Open Source project when moving to VC funding

An open source project I designed & developed as my thesis in grad school has been continuing development through a non profit organization that hired me full time. Throughout my work there,...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 01:54
Blank
Kim Prisin
16 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Code of closed down Startups?

Haven't been able to find a clear answer to this (as there may not be one), but what happens to the code of closed down startups? Putting aside the issue of whether they took VC or not, and...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 03:53
Blank
User464180
159 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
Valuing a Social Technology startup using EBITDA makes sense?

We're finalizing the details of a new shareholders agreement but we're stuck at setting the EBITDA multiple that will get used for future valuation of the company. The agreement was written by one...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 18:24
Blank
Shreef
21 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3K Views
How do I prove that its all my IP

I'm involved in a deal where an industry organization is attempting to white label my software. Their Chairperson is a lawyer, so they are cautious on the legal stuff. They want to be absolutely...

asked May 15 '13 at 12:34
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
How do I know if it is safe to use a logo?

Can we use a logo+name for our product even if other companies use it? We are in an industry which has no other business using the logo, but there is a clothing company, and probably some other...

asked May 16 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Mr Kelley
118 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.34K Views
Question About C-Corp, Shareholder, and Officer

Person A wants to start a C-Corp in California operating a news website. He is wondering if the following form is legal? A is the only Shareholder and the only Director owning 100% equity. A will...

asked May 21 '13 at 11:29
Blank
User26315
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Delaware LLC loan to member

A Delaware LLC has not elected S or C corp status. The manager owns most of the member interests. The operating agreement gives the manager complete control to do as he sees fit. The manager wants...

asked May 22 '13 at 01:03
Blank
Dave
6 points