Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Incorporate company for running a web2.0 website to be used globally

I live in India. I need to start a social networking site here for the indian users as well as spread it to users abroad in USA, Europe, Australia. As of now, I start as a 1-man startup. I need to...

asked May 22 '13 at 21:01
Blank
User01
106 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.28K Views
Can I leave my LLC "VOID" in Delaware?

I wasn't aware that I had to pay Franchise Tax in Delaware, whats the worst thing that will happen if I leave the LLC "VOID". Can I still have a good standing LLC in NY?

asked May 29 '13 at 04:25
Blank
Nsh Please
1 point

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.76K Views
Using another company's logo in my company's video - I don't seem to have a choice

So I am working on a start up company in the fitness sector. Besides a couple of other things we are making training videos for fitness instructors, to show them how to do the moves and such. Our...

asked Jun 3 '13 at 07:29
Blank
Olli
89 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
Left my startup pre-launch. What percent equity is fair?

6 months ago I quit my job to start a startup with two other people. I'm the business guy. I worked full-time on the project from day No. 1, and made substantial contributions to branding, customer...

asked Apr 30 '13 at 08:23
Blank
Ileftearly
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Legal consultation in India

I just started working in India and the firm,I am working for, faces some small legal issues frequently. Small things like boundary dispute, customers check bounce etc. Since we have offices at...

asked May 1 '13 at 05:05
Blank
User899893
24 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.98K Views
Company formation for forex trading and paying taxes

I do work with currencies trading (Forex), I do have Forex traders who trade with my capital, and it is increasing gradually. What I want to do is to find a solution which allows me to run trading...

asked May 1 '13 at 23:38
Blank
Trading Fx
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Developing a product/service as a result of requirements of existing employer

A is currently employed at company X which in turn is a vendor for company Z. A realized that certain aspects of running the business for Z which X is failing at can be productized/offered as a...

asked May 2 '13 at 00:32
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Language for Articles of Organization LLC Ownership

I am in the process of drafting the articles of organization for my LLC. I would like to specify in there, that the ownership of the LLC is specified with units, and LLC members receive a certain...

asked May 2 '13 at 13:27
Blank
Olli
89 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
Operational email policy

We've recently launched a platform and we start aquiring emails from users, partly from facebook and partly on their own merit. We want to start sending operational emails to our users, for...

asked May 4 '13 at 21:45
Blank
Itai Sagi
337 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.17K Views
Is immigrating to the US really that hard for foreign entrepreneurs?

I keep reading about the high percentage of tech startups in the US that are founded by immigrant entrepreneurs (39% in California ). I also keep reading about how hard immigrating to the US is for...

asked Apr 6 '13 at 16:01
Blank
Tyler
24 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.63K Views
Dissolve a void c corp in delaware

When the company is no longer doing business - Is there going to be any consequences if a c corp (delaware) is in void status due to failure to file annual report? would this affect the personal...

asked Apr 11 '13 at 03:33
Blank
James
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Licensing a compiler which outputs code of a pre-existing programming language

This is a cross-post from stackoverflow; I was told you guys might be more knowlegable in this area... I have an idea for a project which, ideally, I would like to eventually make money...

asked Apr 14 '13 at 14:52
Blank
Araisbec
16 points

12 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
There's a troll in my space - now what?

I've spent the last 3 months full-time building an alpha version of a web app, and developing a business plan for it. The alpha version is ready to launch. Recently I've stumbled upon the fact that...

asked Apr 15 '13 at 05:45
Blank
Amindfv
186 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
website trust, making charitable donations transparent

So I have a question about the theoretical holding of charitable donations. So I have a start up idea that I am busy coding away on... At the base of the idea is spreading the wealth of humanity,...

asked Apr 20 '13 at 07:45
Blank
Brendan Morrison
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Removing a bad partner?

Two month ago I've joined with two friends to build a startup. I came with the idea and we started working. Two weeks ago, the first partner left the project due to lack of time. The second partner...

asked Apr 23 '13 at 20:17
Blank
Thedp
106 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
2.45K Views
Sticky IP situation

We are in a sticky situation, that is no ones fault but our own. We had approached a developer to join our startup. After showing him the project he was excited and decided to join. Our mistake was...

asked Apr 24 '13 at 15:13
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Do I need to Incorporate to be able to hire legally?

Do I need to register OR incorporate my start up to be able to legally hire people? This start up will be in India. Can I give written appointment letter if I am just a sole proprietor? Will it be...

asked Apr 24 '13 at 17:55
Blank
Abhijit Navale
245 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.39K Views
Limiting liability of individual/small startup when selling software

If I make and sell some software (online if that matters), and say that software ends up causing some unexpected behavior (let's go extreme and say it deletes all data on the hard drive!). Am I...

asked Mar 22 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Foreign LLC vs Domestic LLC - Wyoming & South Carolina

Please help. I'll make this as simple and concise as possible: I will be manufacturing my own parts, AT HOME, in South Carolina. I intend to sell the products exclusively online with an online...

asked Mar 23 '13 at 00:41
Blank
George
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Startup advice on business structure for an international call center

I'm Canadian and living in Canada and I have a professional friend who is American and living in the States. He and I want to start a call center. The operation will be centered around him for...

asked Mar 25 '13 at 04:43
Blank
User25605
11 points