Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

1 Votes
2 Answers
5.76K Views
What Are My Restrictions With "Non-commercial Use" Software?

Basically I want to start a company. I realize you cannot use this software for commercial purposes; hence the name. Basically I have lots of "Non-commercial" software installed on my main...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 09:33
Blank
Annonomus Person
204 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.7K Views
Is it legally right to put movie/music/games cover art on a website?

We want to launch a website where we put information about movies, music and more. Each item (movie, music etc.) will have it's own page. On this page there will be some information about the item,...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Oskar Persson
109 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Legal implications on being a middle man?

If I find an advertisment on a site such as craiglist and use the ad on my site to connect one of my users with the original advertisment poster can that cause any legal problem? I am reposting...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 05:29
Blank
Desmond
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.62K Views
Applying for my working visa

I am a graphic design intern under my OPT and would like to open my own graphic design studio here in the US. So I was wondering whether I need money more than 100k or can I start with a lower...

asked Feb 5 '13 at 06:30
Blank
Della
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
What type of lawyer do I need?

My business partner and I are looking to start a gymnastics school. We have been told by the bank that we need 100% collateral. It is not uncommon for owners to seek parents of current gymnasts to...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 01:46
Blank
Kendra
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
Do I have to sell my shares to my cofounder?

Our company ran low on funds about 4 months ago. We decided it would be best If I took on an advisory role and went to work elsewhere to cover my personal expenses. I have vested shares in a large...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 15:30
Blank
User23581
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
How to protect myself from uncommitted co-founders

Two of us came together to work on an idea for a web startup. We end up killing the initial product and a third person joined. A new product is built and launched. It happens that I'm the...

asked Jan 19 '13 at 12:53
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
When is a law firm bill due?

My startup is currently looking for a law firm to represent us. We have several offers/engagement letters already and have noticed that some say the bill is due in 30 days and other letters say...

asked Jan 19 '13 at 13:14
Blank
James
8 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
2.98K Views
how to proceed with negotiations with contractor/early employee

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I am one of three cofounders at an early stage startup. We have been working with an outsourced developer...

asked Jan 21 '13 at 09:55
Blank
B B
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Legal issues of a user-pic based app?

I'm planning on creating a mobile app based upon the idea of allowing users to take self-portraits and having it shared in a dynamic public gallery (for say, dating purposes, or whatnot). Let's...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 02:35
Blank
Aldrich
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.51K Views
Starting is business with other two partners who did not invest

I started a business with two other partners who did not invest. It was decided that we will be equal partners in profit sharing. Other two partners will not get any salary but only equal profit...

asked Jan 24 '13 at 16:37
Blank
Arif
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.01K Views
Is a company required to return a signed copy of an NDA?

I saw a similar question but it doesn't quite cover what I am asking: Signed an NDA but the company never returned their copy to me The NDA in my case was signed in the context of discussing a...

asked Jan 24 '13 at 16:58
Blank
Martin's
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
Is an open source prototype a bad idea?

I'm building a prototype for a web/mobile application. The goal is to collect user generated content, let user rate it while at the same time being entertained and do something interesting with it....

asked Jan 26 '13 at 07:07
Blank
Pvoosten
106 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
7.89K Views
What invalidates an NDA agreement?

I signed an NDA agreement with a company (an on campus entity in Canada) that is very vague, contains errors and there is a multitude of issues surrounding it. Its from legal zoom. 1: After my...

asked Jan 28 '13 at 09:12
Blank
User1550052
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Business model for a startup

In planning to build an mobile-app based startup, how good and effective is a business model that depends on other products? Or would a rather better business model be where the app by itself is a...

asked Dec 30 '12 at 18:24
Blank
Quik Tester
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Does a 'Director' need to be an Officer (UK)?

In the UK, are there any obligations (legal or otherwise) for someone with 'Director' in their job title to also be an officer of the company (i.e. registered as a director at Companies...

asked Jan 1 '13 at 20:39
Blank
Harunahi
148 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Startup equity for co-founder

I've been working at a pre-launch startup for the past year (going to launch in the next several weeks). I'm supposed to sign my Stock Purchase Agreement soon, but wanted to run this by to see if I...

asked Jan 10 '13 at 07:03
Blank
Rabid Zombie
113 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
Does a US employer need to pay any taxes for a non-US freelancer hired online?

We own an International Web Development company and get hired from all over the globe. We need to know if one of our US clients, needs to pay taxes for hiring us. They paid us $750.00USD via...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 15:08
Blank
Juapo2 Services
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Is there a word for "don't dilute my shares faster than yours"?

I am entering discussions where the subject of me receiving equity in a company might be brought up. I would like to know if there is a common business term (manner-of-speaking term) for an...

asked Dec 16 '12 at 23:15
Blank
Roger
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Legal Agreement for Discounts

I have been talking to a few companies about offering an exclusive discount which I will be selling to some of my clients and I was curious what kind of legal agreement I should make with these...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 05:59
Blank
Clifgray
200 points