Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
How legally binding is a pre-incorporated agreement?

Our startup was founded by 3 people and is in it's final stages of development. One of the founders wants to pull out but keep their 33%. We have a one page document signed by the three of us...

asked Mar 30 '13 at 20:41
Blank
Rangerrick337
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
building an application at work, want to spin it into a business

I am building a custom sales portal at my place of employment, a large company. I would like to start a saas business that uses the same features I am building for the custom project at work. I...

asked Mar 31 '13 at 10:36
Blank
Jack Smorenson
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.2K Views
1099 requirements for customers in middleman-type business

Note: I WILL be seeking information from a lawyer or accountant if I proceed but I want preliminary info here first. I am considering a business that, for sake of example, is much like Guru.com or...

asked Apr 1 '13 at 08:05
Blank
User478798
3 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Implementation partners-protecting source code

I have an existing SAAS platform and I am in the process of working with multiple implementation partners or vendors for some enhancements. How do I make sure my source code is protected? Some of...

asked Mar 7 '13 at 03:35
Blank
User8226
197 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.66K Views
Partner leaving at an idea-stage start up

This question might sound dumb, but I'm at a complete loss of what to do. My friend and I discussed starting a web site business years ago. For about a year and a half, we met every other weekend...

asked Mar 10 '13 at 23:42
Blank
Mimi
26 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
How do I dissolve a C Corp?

I haven't used my C Corp, paid any taxes, or done the minutes. I haven't made a dollar or used the corp in any form. It was just a mistake opening the C Corp. I'm scared I have to pay the taxes...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 13:33
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
11.8K Views
Verbal Partnership Agreement Binding?

I have a provisional patent for a product that I have been developing. I had a meeting last weekend with two individuals and we have verbally agreed to form a partnership. The partner who will be...

asked Mar 18 '13 at 08:19
Blank
Bill
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.15K Views
Can I incorporate my internet business in California/Delaware without a "physical address"?

I am planning a startup in internet space and I live in California. I do not wish to use my home address as the place-of-business (physical) address in the incorporation documents due to concerns...

asked Mar 18 '13 at 18:45
Blank
Joe Black
22 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
Does the company own all my ideas?

A company has the following contract. http://www.uploadimage.in/di/93QO/one.png http://www.uploadimage.in/di/N8UR/two.png Does this mean if one is working on something in their free time while...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 19:36
Blank
Julius
1 point

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.14K Views
Elance OutSourcing - Do i own copyright?

I am outsourcing a commercial project(software program) to elance. I was wondering if after the work is finished, I own the copyright to this work fully. This is very important since i want to make...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 15:23
Blank
Spyros P
132 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.55K Views
Do I need to register as LLC even if I plan to make my iOS apps free?

I have personally made some apps and I want to put them on the Apple app store as free apps. I will probably also make them open source on github or something. I had been reluctant to do so because...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 19:53
Blank
Yeesterbunny
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Where and how can I ask for permission of product images?

About four months ago I asked a question about using product images (posters/cover art for movies, games, music, tv-shows and books) on a website without asking for permission. Most of the answers...

asked Feb 28 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Oskar Persson
109 points

7 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Which country to incorporate web startup in?

If we have a web startup originally targetting users from country A, but the majority of users end up to be from America, is it sufficient to have the company incorporated in country...

asked Mar 3 '13 at 19:30
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
US patent infringement by UK business?

Hoping I can find some help from those in the know!! My wife has recently started a business here in the UK customizing shoes (with crystals, bows etc). On Thursday she received a email from a UK...

asked Mar 4 '13 at 00:59
Blank
Mark Sacco
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.46K Views
Is it okay to ask potential hires about previous NDAs?

I'm in the midst of conducting research on starting up a small consulting/services business. Some of the services provided would involve developing proprietary algorithms. I would like to avoid...

asked Feb 11 '13 at 08:27
Blank
Nick Evans
23 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
How to fire my Partner

I started a company in August of 2012 signing up 25 customers as a separate part of a corporation I have had since 2010 and brought in a partner in September. The partner did not put in any money...

asked Feb 14 '13 at 04:17
Blank
User24008
19 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Director service contracts

The two of us are going to found a company and will work on all necessary tasks without taking pay at least for the first year. In this case, are we going to be Executive Directors? If so, will we...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 03:16
Blank
Kate
99 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.39K Views
Can you be sued by a competitor simply for looking at their website?

I have been working on a SaaS product for about a year and a half (on and off, among other projects). Lately I have gotten serious about the product. While doing a routine evaluation of competitors...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 09:06
Blank
Joe A
1,196 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.63K Views
Advertisement liability

I am working on a startup that provides information services, kind of like dating website but for legal community. I wonder what kind of disclaimers are needed for pictures that show people giving...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 01:53
Blank
User23810
4 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
How much equity should I give our first investor/legal advisor?

I'm currently starting up a mobile social networking application with zero funding. The app is currently in the mvp stage with a very thorough business plan, and my business partner and I are...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 04:29
Blank
User23813
13 points