Legal Questions

Essential legal issues that startups face, including corporate formation, fundraising documentation, founders stock, and board relations.

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.65K Views
How to split profits for children's business?

My daughters have started a bow-making business. One daughter is the crafty bow maker. The other is the outgoing marketer selling the bows to her friends and bringing in the orders. They are having...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 07:54
Blank
Alex Geiger
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Will my ex-partner have claim over my new business?

Background: My friend and I talked about building an application, saying this is the idea, let's see if we can develop something around it. After thinking about it for a few weeks it seemed not...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 18:40
Blank
Patrick Long
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
C-Corp vs LLC. How much more complex?

I am starting a technology business with my 50% partner. We are trying to decide between an LLC and a C-Corp. (We are in Michigan) In our case an S-Corp probably won't work too well. I've read a...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 10:00
Blank
Thread7
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
What are the legal and ethical implications of this?

For a few months now, I have been developing a web application for a "non-profit" (unofficial, more on this later) of my own accord. I'm the only one who has written the code, it was my idea in the...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 07:57
Blank
John Doe
13 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.94K Views
Can I use another companies name in my sub domain

I AM going to make comments on other Companys produkts via my website, and use the Companys name in my sub domain. Is it legal?

asked Dec 13 '12 at 08:26
Blank
Peter Forchhammer
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
What's the cost and paperwork of dissolving a Delaware corporation?

I have been working with my co-founder for the past year and recently we decided to part ways. However, about 2 months ago we incorporated our business in Delaware. Each of us is starting from...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 06:01
Blank
Rjgonzo
157 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Co-inventor and Section 2870 of the California Labor Code

My partner and me developed a product, and the split is: I developed 97-98%, he developed the rest, the idea was conceived by both. He did his portion on his own time and equipment, and it uses...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 12:35
Blank
Aynat
111 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Can i use a logo on my website to sell THEIR product without permission

Can i use a logo on my website to sell THEIR product without permission. I am starting my own business selling brand named footwear, can i put logo's on my site to show which brands i am selling?...

asked Nov 23 '12 at 12:02
Blank
Leona J
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.96K Views
What legal documents should I receive after incorporation of a private company?

Few months ago, I started to incorporate a private company in India. Due to legal process overheads, I outsourced the task to a reputed law company. Now, whole process is almost finished. I want...

asked Nov 26 '12 at 23:29
Blank
Sachin Shekhar
260 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
How does an LLC guarantee a debt?

In regards to LLC protection, if you are the only person in the company and personally guarantee a loan, your assets are not protected if you default. What is the other method of guaranteeing the...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 02:58
Blank
4th Space
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Tax Year & Incorporation Question

My partner & I just won $30,000 in a business plan competition. We haven't incorporated yet (and therefore haven't cashed the check). We plan on spending all the money to get the business...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 04:12
Blank
Thread7
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.59K Views
Source code Buyout clause in contract

I have a small contract that I have to makeup, but the biggest importance is to make sure the the source code buyout doesn't have a set price. What would be the best way of wording this? Ideally,...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 14:18
Blank
Eghdk
111 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Is it legal to add content to a third party sites via a browser extension?

I want to create an extension that adds content on third party sites. I will not show any advertising and I will not hide the site's content. I'd like to add my related content to 5 or 6 third...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 18:10
Blank
Giorgio Resci
8 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Lawyer experience level

My tech startup is looking to hire a lawyer for our legal needs. I've narrowed it down to two people: one is a partner who has been practicing law for over 20 years and the other is an associate...

asked Nov 7 '12 at 10:36
Blank
Joni
21 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
When using crowd-sourced logo design sites, what do I need to worry about regarding font licensing?

I am using a crowd-sourced site to design my logo (examples of such sites: 99 Designs and Crowdspring ). The way these sites work is you put up a prize (say, $200) and then several different...

asked Nov 10 '12 at 03:45
Blank
Patrick Kenny
277 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What is the name of this legal document?

I need to get a legal document to sign with our clients. But I'm not sure of the name, which makes it even harder to look for this. We are in the following situation. We have developed a system...

asked Nov 10 '12 at 13:44
Blank
User21544
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.95K Views
Terms of agreement with a co-founder after split-up

I recently quit working with my co-founder. We had started a software business together and had agreed on a certain profit share. But shortly after the launch of the apps, we had to split because...

asked Nov 13 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Book Publication Graphic Design Legal Advice

A) I have sent a copy of my manuscript to a graphic designer I wanted to work with without an NDA/ any form of contract signed. I now no longer want to work with him. I have evidence that the...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 21:11
Blank
Natasha
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Do you need to be a lawyer to act as an agent of an individual purchasing something?

I am in the very early stages in looking to start a business in which I help individuals purchase cars on their behalf, so they do not have to deal with the dealership, an experience most people do...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 07:32
Blank
Jarrett Luc
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
7.01K Views
Is internship considered as "work-for-hire" in the US? Who owns the software intellectual property rights created by an intern with no contract?

I was an intern in a small furniture company for over year where I had an idea to develop an integrated software solution that would help any company of the same type get organized. A verbal...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 03:45
Blank
P T
11 points