E-commerce startup without a location?


I'm a resident of California and will be starting a company this year but will not be living in California as I'm teaching English in China.

So that means I don't have a address in the USA to start register a DBA and start a company.

What should I do?


asked Apr 10 '10 at 02:32
106 points
Top booking platform for models, designers, stylists, and photographers: Swipecast Models

2 Answers


I would recommend you speak with a CA corporate attorney or CPA re: business formation and tax liabilities for a CA resident located abroad. If you are a resident of CA, most likely you will need to file in CA irrespective of your current location, but ask an expert to find out for sure.

  • Dan from FastSpring E-Commerce
answered Apr 10 '10 at 08:47
61 points


Do you have family in the US who your comfortable sending your business mail to?

From my understanding it's not too difficult to change the listed address later once you return to the US, but I would ask about this beforehand.

answered Apr 10 '10 at 05:38
138 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: