I've created a series of mobile apps for the cruise community called Ship Mate that gets a significant amount of daily use. In it I've added the ability to highlight business in the different ports that want to give my users deals or discounts. I'm able to tell these businesses how many of my users will be visiting their particular port and when.
How do I use this information to convince a business to start working with me? I'm a software guy with no experience in business or sales but I'm determined to figure this part out.
So here's what I think you're saying: you have users getting value from your apps, and that gives you data. You want to monetize that data, and one way is through selling advertising. But you're not an ad sales person.
It sounds chicken and egg. But it's not. Because you have data .
So here's what you could do.
Given that you're already successful in getting users on your app, there's a pretty good chance that your prospective market will start approaching you. But even if you don't, you'll learn, you won't take risks, and you won't spend money or even all that much time.
Critically, here's how this strategy means you'll get to sell well even though you aren't confident or experienced :
BE the business owner. Your best chance to convince the business owner is to do the following:
1) Keep your pitch under 30 seconds. Use zero high-tech words.
2) You have a "new" product, and it is expensive to "teach" a business owner about a market that doesn't exist, so make your pitch as simple as possible to understand. If you can't explain it to a 3rd grader, it's not easy enough.
3) Make sure they have to do VERY little to begin working with you or your app.
4) Let them try out your service for free somehow.
5) Do some research about their products/prices/currencies, and draw up some extremely conservative (and simple to understand) figures as to how your app would help their business.
Above all. KISS. Keep it simple stupid.
A business owner's time is incredibly valuable, and you've got to have a way to show them your value QUICK, with them having to do very little to benefit from it.