What are some of the most important things I should be doing after pushing games live to attract users?
How did Flappy Bird get it's traction? All I've read in articles is that the game was live for several months without much use and then went viral all of a sudden.
Was there a specific event that led to it going viral?
1. In terms of your app store "SEO", here is what you need to tweak to optimize (in order of importance):
Split test all of these.
2. The next thing you need to optimize is reviews. There is no easy way to get the initial reviews -- so you will have to solicit them at first from friends and family. Try to get everyone in your network to write a review.
3. Submit your app on all the app directories. Most of them also review your app -- and the bigger blogs like TechCrunch source idea for their articles from these directories.
4. Write a short pitch (not press release) and submit it to all the popular tech blogs.
5. Ask people who download your app to write a review (after the second or third time they open the app). If they didn't write a review, ask them once more after the 10th time they open your app.
6. Create a nice looking landing page with high quality screenshots. When tech journalists visit, you want to make the best impression.