Filing Estimated Taxes?


When I started my single person LLC earlier this year, I didn't expect to make a profit in my first year. As I understood it, I didn't need to file quarterly estimated taxes because I wasn't going to have a profit.

I recently acquired a small consulting job that will generate a profit for me by the end of the year. Now it looks like I SHOULD file quarterly estimated tax payments. I've already missed the first quarter. How do I remedy the situation? Further, how do people estimate profits in a situation like this?


asked Apr 26 '11 at 00:56
254 points
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

1 Answer


You should really hire a CPA. There are some things that are worth spending on a professional and this is one of them (especially when it comes to the IRS).

My brother happens to be a CPA, so he helped me with similar issues for my LLC (not for free either - I pay him just like any other of his clients).

However, if I recall correctly, your estimated taxes are relative to your previous years tax payments, so you may be okay this year. I could be wrong. So please, talk to a CPA! He or she can help you answer all of these questions.

answered Apr 26 '11 at 09:36
Doug Donohoe
401 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: