Where can I find an electrical engineer to design and develop a simple device? (for iPhone)


This is probably not the best forum, but I am looking for an E.E. to be partners with to develop a device that interfaces with an iPhone. (I already have the hardware spec from the Apple program)

Additionally I will likely need a person to design the physical characteristics of the device.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is most likely simple enough that any grad student could do it.


asked Nov 7 '09 at 07:18
Tim J
8,346 points
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

2 Answers


Another StackExchange site, http://chiphacker.com/ may be a great place to start looking.

answered Nov 7 '09 at 07:22
189 points
  • sweet. thanks. – Tim J 14 years ago


I will caution to to avoid freelance sites for EE projects

  1. You don't have a clear chain as far as IP goes if you go for any kind of patent (though, not likely in your case), but I'm citing general practice.
  2. Its dubious that the freelancer will be around to help you get whatever certifications are needed for your product (FCC or otherwise)
  3. What / who will be checking their designs?

The consensus for your question on Chip Hacker was to approach a local university, which is a good idea in some cases. I've done the same ... sometimes it works, sometimes not. As mentioned in answers there, I had major problems getting a device through certifications (We were making some USB gizmos).

If its really this basic, you may want to just shop around for some smaller EE firms and get some ball park quotes. You know your IP is going to be respected if you stay in your country, you get a guarantee of certification and govt approval .. and you have a much lower risk of a grad student flaking out on you :)

answered Nov 7 '09 at 23:59
Tim Post
633 points
  • I wasn't looking for a freelancer - I am looking to find a partner – Tim J 14 years ago
  • So where do I find/how do I find those companies - no yellow page listings for "electrical engineering design firms" where I am living. – Tim J 14 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: