Can an Indian promoter/founder/entrepreneur register his business and get it incorporated in the US?


What is the US law that deals with regulations for incorporated entities? In India, we have the Indian Companies Act, 1956.

I am an entrepreneur. I want to know if I can register my business as a company in the US? That means, I want to register my business with the registrar of companies in the US as an incorporated body in the US. It will then be a US company, and I'll slowly build presence in the US.

For a start, I'll be conducting business from India. Is that possible? Do you know anyone that has done that?

Any help in this matter, of experience or legal counsel, I would highly appreciate. Thank you.

Incorporation Registration

asked May 15 '11 at 04:32
Water Cooler V2
139 points

2 Answers


Yes, it is possible to do what you want to do - I have helped ~30 foreign companies and entrepreneurs, from a variety of countries (including India), through the process.

In the U.S., corporations are formed pursuant to state, rather than federal, laws.

I recommend that you use my blog's Foreign Countries page ( as a starting point. If you examine the posts linked to (directly and indirectly) from there, most of your questions probably will be answered.

Disclaimer: This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

answered May 16 '11 at 05:29
Dana Shultz
6,015 points


Dana Shultz is right- it doesn't matter where the owner/founder/etc. lives or is from. (Excluding North Korea, etc.)

answered May 16 '11 at 06:53
1,747 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Incorporation Registration