Should I join this guy's startup team?



A guy reached out to me to join his drone company. I have been fascinated with drones for some time now, I bought my own and I have been toying with the idea of a drone business personally. When this guy reached out to me, I thought "great". I can do something I love. He has been working on this particular idea for over 4 years now. Over the course of 4 years he has pivoted maybe once or twice. I've been working with him for the past month or so and he knows his stuff. Right now we are at the prototype stage to approach potential customers.


The problem is in talking with him recently, he informed me that he doesn't plan on doing this forever. In two years, he wants to be doing farming. Which set off an alarm bell inside me for some reason. How can a guy who's been working at this for 4 years, want to exit the industry in 2 years and he hasn't even launched yet?

Partnership Team

asked Aug 15 '14 at 17:45
106 points

3 Answers


Your post shows a lot of red flags:

  • he worked on it for 4 years and doesn't seem to have much to show for it
  • he wants to be doing farming

The only green flag is your comment:

  • "I've been working with him for the past month or so and he knows his stuff".

Does he, really? Or are you just impressed by someone who knows a bit more about drones than you do, but frankly is not going anywhere?

What about business experience, having contacts with potential customers, etc. Does he pitch well, can he sell people on his product and vision?

There is a 1% chance you found a diamond in the rough, but 99% chance this is not going anywhere.

answered Aug 15 '14 at 18:54
Alain Raynaud
10,927 points


Serial entrepreneurs seem to divide into two types.

One is passionate about one particular thing, and will build new businesses with a very obvious connection. A lot of startup writing focuses on this group.

The other type is people who are focused on execution and exit. They want an opportunity where they can see how to make a business and move on.

Clearly your prospective partner isn't the first type. So you need to find out if he's the second. If he is, joining at this stage could be great timing. But if he's just run out of steam and looking for someone else to take his idea forward even though it's not working - run.

answered Aug 30 '14 at 07:27
Jeremy Parsons
5,197 points


My answer is strictly no.

When some of the big organizations are sending the employees home for getting their own benefits, it will take little time for the startup to quit, if they dont have any determination and mission for the project.

Unless otherwise you are fully satisfied or happy with your decision in all aspects, go for it. Or else dont feel bad about it later.

answered Aug 20 '14 at 11:53
Bharathi Priya
1 point

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Partnership Team