How can a non-US citizen legally receive Kickstarter funds?


My understanding is that only a US citizen with an Amazon payment account can create a Kickstarter project.

If there is no project member in the States, is there some sort of agency that could create the project and receive and transfer funds on the project's behalf?

International Money

asked Feb 2 '12 at 19:00
113 points

1 Answer


Am I eligible to start a Kickstarter project? To be eligible to start a Kickstarter project, you need to satisfy the requirements of Amazon Payments:

Be a permanent US resident and at least 18 years of age with a Social Security Number (or EIN), a US bank account, US address, US state-issued ID (driver's license), and major US credit or debit card.

I'm not in the US. Can I start a project on Kickstarter? You don't have to physically be in the US, but there are some US requirements to be eligible. Please read: Am I eligible to start a Kickstarter project? [see above ]

We're working hard to open up to more countries. If you've been waiting, we really appreciate your patience.

So in a word, no... for now. But, check the following links:

This Quora question has an answer that might help you.

Also, check these two lists of Kickstarter alternatives (Quora, OnStartups ); they might help you as well.

answered Feb 3 '12 at 04:35
131 points
  • the answer in that first link looks like it's the kind of thing I'm looking for (unfortunately that option seems to be defunct) - thanks for the alternate directions, they might be easier - still looking for a definitive answer on the agency question, what they might be called, if it would be an above-board avenue, and any existing examples (if possible!) – D3vid 12 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

International Money