Starting New School 2nd Question


1

Also,

Initially we will be starting as a business/entrepreneurship school. I've toyed with two ideas for teachers. Experience entrepreneurs or somewhat experienced generalists that have great and dynamic personalities, but haven't necessarily started a business.

Question: Experienced entrepreneurs as teachers or generalists (essentially facilitators), or both?

Employees Education

asked Jul 7 '10 at 16:23
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points
  • You have to keep us posted on your progress. – Jeff O 8 years ago
  • I will definitely try, Jeff. This website is a fantastic resource. I will definitely refer my students here. As far as progress goes, in the last few days, I've got together with some people that will be working with me. One of them is a business school graduate from BYU. It's good for me to understand what that school's product is like so that I can know my competition a little. Also I've come across some potential first students. At the very least I'll use them in a focus group to refine the idea a bit. – Ryan Chatterton 8 years ago
  • Is there any accredidation that the school is going for? This would force some of your teacher decisions if so. – John Bogrand 8 years ago

4 Answers


1

I'd like to suggest a third group: technologists.

As a technologist (web developer) who works with many startups, I've seen a lot of entrepreneurs get hamstrung by their own misconceptions about technology. Even if it's just a guest lecturer or two, finding a way to expose your students to technologists they are likely to need to deal with in the business world would give them a strong leg up.

I see a lot of wasted money and missed opportunity stem from business types not understanding the technology their businesses rely on. A good developer, engineer, IT guru, etc. can help a startup through many of those hurdles, but only if the startup's leadership knows how to choose a good technologist and work with him/her effectively.

--Susan

answered Nov 3 '10 at 01:30
Blank
Hedge Mage
1,438 points

0

To start out, take what you can get as long as they have the knowledge, can teach, and are motivated to do it.

I don't know the name, but in the US there is an organization of retired business people. Many would have liked to teach, but probably didn't have the time when they were working.

Look for entrepreneuers who just sold their business. They may have time on their hands and are interested in sharing what they learned.

There are others who have specific knowledge in business as well and may be able to facilitate in areas of: accounting, finance, lending, banking, public speaking, business writing, marketing, etc.

And when your students use this site, make sure they tag their questions as Homework ;)

answered Jul 7 '10 at 19:08
Blank
Jeff O
6,169 points
  • Thanks a ton Jeff! I'll keep the tagging homework in mind! :P – Ryan Chatterton 8 years ago
  • Also, I think the organization you're referring to is SCORE. Service Core of Retired Executives. – Ryan Chatterton 8 years ago
  • SCORE! that's it. – Jeff O 8 years ago

0

I think credibility is paramount when adults are paying for an educational experience. Why don't you survey your target customers and find out what qualities are most important to them in their teachers.

Speaking with my educator hat on, I think the best outcome would be people who have a mix of business experience and an understanding of current entrepreneurial theory and research. Happy to talk to you more about this if you want to PM me.

answered Jul 7 '10 at 23:08
Blank
Susan Jones
4,128 points

0

I agree with Jeff - people who have just sold their businesses are going to be ideal, because they have the experience of running the business, but they also have the time to devote to teaching.

If I were going to pay for such a school, I think I would want EXPERIENCED entrepreneurs. I wouldn't be impressed by "somewhat experienced generalists that have great and dynamic personalities, but haven't necessarily started a business."

I have a a BA and Master's degree in teaching - I taught for many years, but now I now own my own website publishing company. But I look back at my own college education - 80% of it was sitting through theory-type classes that didn't teach me anything useful. The other 20% was real, down-to-earth practice stuff I actually used in my career. Makes me feel like my 6 years of schooling should have taken much less time.

So my opinion: Experience. Experience. Experience.

Good luck to you!

answered Jul 22 '10 at 12:50
Blank
Steampunk
166 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Employees Education