Search Engines Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
How does Google index a page that isn't linked from anywhere on the web?

I had a page with an obscure url that wasn't linked from any other page and no where on the web. My sitemap file didn't include this page either.Yet I just saw that Google indexed the page and it...

asked Jun 16 '14 at 20:44
Blank
Mark Christensen
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.25K Views
Does private whois registration significantly affect your Google rankings?

I have a high quality content site that was consistently growing the last three months. The backlinks are from authority sites.Just a few days after I changed my whois registration to private, my...

asked Jun 23 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Albert Vaughan
7 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
How to beat Google at search? DuckDuckGo is the only good alternative and didn't succeed.

With a hold on the search market share like Google has, how would you imagine a company becoming the next search engine giant? DuckDuckGo, a small company, has been trying but wasn't able...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 21:27
Blank
Dominick
16 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.31K Views
Any thoughts on Ask v Bing v Google for search advertising?

I am looking for an alternative to AdSense. Have you had any experience of the non Google ad engines any any advise on the relative costs and performance?

asked Nov 18 '11 at 09:09
Blank
Jon Slinn
16 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
Improving Google page rank for a local business?

I'm working with a local business that has a storefront and an online catalog selling wine, and they're wondering how they can best improve their search engine results. If you search for their...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 09:00
Blank
Alex
1,156 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Why would people search nearby area or their location along with the searching phrase in google?

Why would people search nearby area or their location along with the searching phrase in google? I know few of them, like user searching for a specific nearby stores.

asked Oct 3 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Web2jeet
96 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
Is my role as non technical guy valuable enough in this case?

How do I approach this situation? I m a non-technical guy, but I want to set up a very basic search engine which would search for data from a MYSQL database of data collected by us.The data is...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 18:30
Blank
User13528
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
How can so many travel meta-search engines exist?

Seems like there are dozens (or hundreds) of travel meta-search engines like fly.com, Kayak, TravelPost, etc. I can't imagine any of the "big" sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc allowing their...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 23:14
Blank
Cbmeeks
135 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Copyright Issues With Creating "Social Search Engine"

I want to create a "social search engine" website. The idea is for people to search for jobs (or articles, or recipes -- I am necessarily targeting jobs), and be able to view them on my site,...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Moteutsch
116 points