Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

22 Votes
24 Answers
5.79K Views
What's more important: releasing early or getting it right?

From your point of view and experience, what is more important when you are building a web based app: release ASAP (eventhough it might not follow best practices) or release it rather late as...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 17:26
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
4.02K Views
Career Planning as a Startup Engineer?

I'm currently almost 2 years in to my second startup job as a Software Engineer and trying to make longer term career plans. I'm looking for general resources (books, blogs, experts) on planning...

asked Oct 21 '09 at 04:18
Blank
Winfield
211 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Advice for conducting a pilot

I have a chance to conduct an on-site pilot of my desktop software. How should I prepare for the pilot? What factors should I consider? What are the best practices for conducting a pilot?

asked Oct 22 '09 at 00:51
Blank
D Thrasher
894 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
3.24K Views
How to fight clones?

I would like to know your views on fighting clones. For example look at these web pages. polldaddy.com/signup sissurvey.net/signup.aspx It is pretty clear that Polldaddy launched poll service...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 18:23
Blank
User625
18 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
8.51K Views
Accessing MLS info from an API

Are there any applications out there that provide an API for accessing US property listing (MLS) information? Zillow has property information for most of the country but very little listing...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 00:06
Blank
Kmullings
26 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
9.48K Views
Would you (Java Developer) learn PHP? if management decided opensource (PHP) projects could fulfill business requirements

(Apologies for the long post. I'm really keen to get sound and balanced advise. The only way to do that is to provide you with a good overview of the situation.. :) ..) I would like to say upfront...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 00:21
Blank
G Maximus
23 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
3.58K Views
Resources or guides to software product pricing

We found product pricing to be the hardest part of launching our product. What resources or guides (online or offline) have you found useful in thinking about pricing your product? I'm interested...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 22:24
Blank
D Thrasher
894 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.87K Views
Looking for a questions and answers site for my company

I am looking for a questions and answers website similar to what is being used here and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations. Some I have seen include http://uservoice.com/ (Even has...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 07:59
Blank
Brake
106 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.26K Views
Can you run a software company, without a software/tech background

Whenever smaller entrepreneurs get their software company up and running, some venture guy comes around with a heck of a lot of money. What if that venture guy don't know anything, whatsoever...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 20:08
Blank
Martin Hn
234 points

13 Votes
21 Answers
6.7K Views
Project management software

My, to put it mildly, understaffed and overworked startup is trying hard to not reinvent the wheel and outsource as much tasks as possible. So we are currently on the look out for a great project...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 06:09
Blank
Slav Ivanov
1,146 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.51K Views
How to find the right engineer / technology talent?

The question is simply "What approach should I take to find the right technology partner?" Some background for context: I am currently employed full time in my industry and have been for over a...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 11:52
Blank
User431
21 points

262 Votes
7 Answers
206K Views
Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly?

I have come up with an idea for a new social networking application. It's not something I expect to be hugely successful, but I think it does have some potential. I've approached a few close...

asked Jan 22 '10 at 07:37
Blank
Matt
1,383 points

5 Votes
10 Answers
4.07K Views
Should I get an MBA first, or just go ahead and launch our software to the global market?

Basically we created a small company a few years ago, and part of our venture is that we created this software which is really easy to use, but it currently exists only in our local language. There...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 07:24
Blank
User14
26 points