Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
Knowledge of algorithms required to be a CTO or VP of Engineering?

I have several years of experience developing software and managing small teams. But I struggle with learning about algorithms. Does that put a huge negative on me being a CTO in the near...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 15:16
Blank
Oscar Bennett
35 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Is Scrum based development better than Agile or Kanban?

What are the pros and cons from your experience or opinion of each way of software development? Scrum Agile Kanban Which do you use right now and recommend for a small team of 3?

asked Feb 22 '14 at 07:58
Blank
Essie Taylor
65 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.42K Views
What is a good IMAP email program for business use?

I'm looking for business-class IMAP email programs to replace the traditional Outlook/POP configuration. Key features needed: the ability to access your email from any device without sacrificing...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 13:18
Blank
Julie King
871 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
How to start an IT company with no IT experience

I do not have solid IT experience, such as in development and delivery of IT enterprise solutions/projects, but I do have experience in developing small applications. I have experience in Hardware,...

asked Dec 1 '13 at 21:11
Blank
User29862
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.69K Views
Software product development for offline proven concept

We are a startup which was started a year back to understand the need of the financial distribution of corporate structured trade/off balance sheet requirement. We are based in Hong Kong and the...

asked Dec 2 '13 at 00:07
Blank
Anindita Ghosh
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Locating Earlyvangelist?

How can I locate a set of good earlyvangelist for my SaaS application prior to building the application? Is there a specific way to find or locate them and finally engage them? Thanks.

asked Nov 16 '13 at 11:33
Blank
User9968
229 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Best software product to sell?

This is for my university research task. What do you think will be the most successful software product (not service) in the Indian software industry? And how will that product be customised to...

asked Nov 19 '13 at 19:00
Blank
Magakriv
4 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
Partnering with a consulting company

I have an opportunity to build a software with a subscription model with my partner who is the domain expert. We found a consulting company who is willing to due the whole development and...

asked Oct 22 '13 at 16:14
Blank
Adam
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
How can indie software house reduce/avoid support and refunds?

I would like to sell desktop software online, but I have very limited resources and can't always give 100% support to the customers. I am worried about how customers might react to poor support...

asked Nov 2 '13 at 04:07
Blank
Rambodash
21 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.87K Views
What stops another company from copying your idea?

I got asked this question at a local venture conference recently when pitching our product. I've heard this question a handful of times and I really would like to get some honest feedback on the...

asked Oct 1 '13 at 12:19
Blank
George Mc Dowd
109 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.54K Views
Software development contest in business plan?

Our business Greatly simplified: We provide data obtained from localized hardware via sensors (mostly cameras) and make it available on the Internet via an API. Having a good UI for the data is...

asked Oct 1 '13 at 20:53
Blank
Feklee
148 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Determining the number of sales at a given price point

I wish to develop a few jquery plugins and sell them on a site like http://codecanyon.net. My question is, before developing a plugin, are there at least some guidelines as to estimating the...

asked Oct 14 '13 at 01:59
Blank
Victor
137 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
If I want to start my own Software Company and Employ people abroad - do I need to register with RCA for a business number?

To begin I am a software enthusiast with minimal business experience. I want to start a sole proprietorship where I develop ideas and then have people help me develop them for me. (people...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:30
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Is it better to incorporate when deciding to design software and market it yourself?

Suppose I had an idea for a software and I wanted to hire offshore developers/contractors to help me with this idea. Would it be more efficient/better for me if I incorporated? Will IP...

asked Sep 14 '13 at 01:44
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Reducing risks for all three parties when developing software on commission?

I am comissioned to set up and manage a team to develop a custom software component for a one-off event. My client is in talks with investors for securing prefinancing, and so he asked me to write...

asked Sep 29 '13 at 19:23
Blank
Feklee
148 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
How do you get sophisticated feedback at each development milestone. Do you use a peer group?

Looking for a place/process to co-audit recent work. Like I just created or updated this certain feature on my website in the last 2 weeks, and I'd like to do walk-throughs or get reviews with...

asked Sep 30 '13 at 00:39
Blank
Efficient Leader
37 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
Take donations as payment for software license keys

I was wondering if it is legal to offer a free software with limitations, then offer to give different license keys for donations. In this case, it is a software for file uploads to different...

asked Aug 16 '13 at 21:24
Blank
Sarah Crane
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Where Can I Find Clients to Offer Virtual Assistants and Project Management Services to?

Hello I own a business service support firm which overs accounting, administrative support, and project management services. Currently, we begin offering software training and solutions to...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 04:00
Blank
Te Leigha Peavy
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
How should we market our software for Yoga Teachers?

We recently launched a software for Yoga Teachers to help them with their business around 3 weeks ago. The software has a free version that can be used for 30 days and has a pay per month version...

asked Jul 31 '13 at 15:01
Blank
John E
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
Foreclosure On Software

Back Story: About a year ago I was asked to join a startup company as technical lead and partner. I was to design build and implement the software for this startup I would receive 20% equity in...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 01:56
Blank
Ross Mann
546 points