Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
Appropriate equity for marketing / development work?

Looking for a little guidance on an equity offer for a project I'm involved in. I was approached six months ago by a founder-developer who has written software to accomplish an idea originated by...

asked Mar 14 '13 at 18:08
Blank
Alan
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
What do tech startups look for in potential employees?

I'm a computer science student at Bristol University in the UK, and I'm looking to work for a startup when I graduate, as I have always had a strong interest in business and feel working for a...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Ryan
4 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
software / digital signage start-up early stages

In the early stages of a start-up, my key market is digital signage, a hardware development kit I use requires signing an NDA to receive the SDK, as stated in the early stages of the start-up. Do...

asked Mar 21 '13 at 05:58
Blank
William
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Contract employee and IP in a not so related business

If I create an application for a client and I am employed as a contactor to the client by a contracting firm in a different capacity, who owns the copyright?

asked Feb 21 '13 at 02:32
Blank
Victor Clough
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
How do I ask help and search people for contribution for my git/open source project

I am basically involved in wordpress site development but a self starter for rails. I want to transform my idea into a rail app and I am contributing it on git(at a very initial level this time),...

asked Feb 24 '13 at 21:24
Blank
Swapnesh
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Software Contributions to a LLC Partnership

I have a 33.33% stake in an LLC partnership, which was made with cash contributions. I have since developed software with an associate who is not part of the company that we would like to sell as...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 08:31
Blank
Frank
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Approached About Partnership

I am a software developer and for the past 4-5 years I've worked part-time on an application related to fantasy sports. I enjoy toying with the marketing side of things but I focus mainly on...

asked Mar 4 '13 at 14:31
Blank
Bperniciaro
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Choosing between complex or simple business ideas

Having spent the last 2 years plotting business ideas and dreaming of the day I would resign I have finally given notice and am preparing to begin pursuing my dreams. However I have reached an...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 14:48
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
5.76K Views
What Are My Restrictions With "Non-commercial Use" Software?

Basically I want to start a company. I realize you cannot use this software for commercial purposes; hence the name. Basically I have lots of "Non-commercial" software installed on my main...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 09:33
Blank
Annonomus Person
204 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Does expensive software need trial download?

I have the following situation: My product is enterprise software and costs 50k. We donĀ“t want our competitors getting their hands on it, so we dont offer a downloadable trial. A potential...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 20:43
Blank
user1721135
182 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.02K Views
Thoughts on offering Software development in return for Equity for a tech startup

I have been developing some software for an online venture in return for significant equity. I am working with another founder who is developing the business. The current thinking is to value our...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 07:51
Blank
Sam Jolly
116 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
What does a company get in return for investing in a web based startup company?

I have always been curious to know what a company gets in return for investing in a startup company that makes a healthy profit while continuing to grow. For example: Accel partners invested 12...

asked Jan 16 '13 at 00:34
Blank
Geddon
20 points

-3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Should The Income Of Programmers With Different Experience be the same In TeamWork

I want to begin to write a Software with my 2 other friends.I worked hard on c# for 4 years and they worked on it approximately for 1 year.Now One Of them got this project and want to make it with...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 07:48
Blank
Programming Follower
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Should we be turning down software resellers?

We get emailed nearly daily from various software reselling companies around the world. They generally enquire as to the cost of 1 - 5 units of our software, and we generally turn down these...

asked Jan 24 '13 at 22:31
Blank
Tom
480 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
Is an open source prototype a bad idea?

I'm building a prototype for a web/mobile application. The goal is to collect user generated content, let user rate it while at the same time being entertained and do something interesting with it....

asked Jan 26 '13 at 07:07
Blank
Pvoosten
106 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
2.88K Views
How can fewer features be better?

Just today I started to get interested in this field and I've started with Getting Real. I kept seeing answers here that recommend it and it also seems trustworthy. However, one thing I don't get...

asked Jan 28 '13 at 00:48
Blank
Ken
143 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
8.97K Views
For alpha/beta testing, should I charge users or pay users?

I'm creating a mobile app for small business wholesalers and the alpha will be finished soon. I have done some face-to-face market research by visiting trade shows they exhibit in and showing...

asked Dec 30 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Sguptaet
242 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
84.4K Views
How should I approach the media and influencers about my small business software?

I recently spoke to the Director of Sales of a new, successful CRM software. He said a key part of their marketing is PR and getting the media to talk about them. We're building a software for...

asked Jan 1 '13 at 05:50
Blank
Sguptaet
242 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
Commercial product name similar to open source product name

I have a commercial software product that will be launching soon. It has a very similar name to a piece of open source software in a non-English speaking country. The only difference is a...

asked Jan 2 '13 at 08:38
Blank
Firstresponder
113 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Startup equity for co-founder

I've been working at a pre-launch startup for the past year (going to launch in the next several weeks). I'm supposed to sign my Stock Purchase Agreement soon, but wanted to run this by to see if I...

asked Jan 10 '13 at 07:03
Blank
Rabid Zombie
113 points