Seeking Information About the Continued Costs of an LLC. Should I Talk to a Lawyer or Accountant?


I'm sure not which type of professional i should reach out to in order to get the proper advice i seek. I want to know specifically how much it would cost to LLC a company and the continued costs on a yearly basis in my state for owning this company. Should I talk to a lawyer or an accountant?

LLC Fees

asked Aug 20 '12 at 14:47
6 points
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

3 Answers


If you want to pay, then any decent lawyer/accountant/bus driver will google it for you and charge whatever you're willing to pay for it. Or you can do it yourself. Its not complicated. All this information is readily available on the regulatory authorities' web sites, and on many internet incorporation services' sites. Just google.

answered Aug 20 '12 at 15:19
5,090 points
  • actually not always true. take Nevada for instance, the $200 "business license" isn't mentioned on the main nevada incorporation sites on google, nor are the costs of noncompliance. in this case, calling the regulatory authority works best, but even then asking the right questions isn't obvious – Cqm 10 years ago
  • @CQM What are you talking about? I got to it from, and here it is, on the top of the annual report form, item 4. – Littleadv 10 years ago
  • calling the regulatory authority or going to the regulatory's website can work. the main incorporation sites that will sell you on using their service for nv incorporation won't tell you about all associated costs online – Cqm 10 years ago


I'd find an accountant who might be interested in your future business and will therefore probably be quite happy to answer your initial questions for free.

While you can (and should) google the relevant statutory fees, a good accountant can also advise on the likely tax implications / costs involved in filing accounts / taxes (assuming you don't do it all yourself) / optimal timing for converting to LLC, / any restrictions on shares to get advantageous tax rates / etc.

The statutory fees are one of the smaller running costs.

(If major liabilities are involved, or you need to set up some unusual corporate structure, you might need to talk to a lawyer too.)

answered Aug 21 '12 at 10:52
946 points


a) call a registered agent in your state about fees, although you won't need a registered agent if you live in that state, they will know all about filing a new entity there

b) call the secretary of state about fees

combine the information

answered Aug 21 '12 at 11:05
137 points
  • Hmmmm.... What about taxes? California, ahem... But other than that - why call when its all on the Internet? – Littleadv 10 years ago
  • @littleadv its not always on the internet, general assembly happens in january for many states, laws will change faster than the internet gets updated – Cqm 10 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

LLC Fees