Short year tax form


We need to file our corporate taxes (1120) for a short year and but there aren't any forms available from the IRS for year 2013 yet. Does anyone know what to do in this case?

update: the company is closing so we need to file for Jan 1 2013 to now

Tax IRS Corporation

asked Sep 12 '13 at 17:11
8 points

1 Answer


You should use the currently available form. For non-calendar years, you write in your fiscal year on the dotted lines right under the "Corporate Tax Return" caption. If your fiscal year starts in 2012 and ends in 2013, you should be using the 2012-year version of the form.

If its the first time you're filling the form 1120, I'd suggest talking to a professional (EA/CPA/Attorney/Tax Preparer) licensed in your state.

In fact, I suggest always to have a professional work on your corporate tax returns.

answered Sep 12 '13 at 18:03
5,090 points
  • just updated the question with more info. thanks – Ent 9 years ago
  • @Ent I'm not a tax professional, but in my amateur opinion - you use the same form, and attach a statement explaining why the short year and why the prior year form. Don't forget to check the "Final Return" box. – Littleadv 9 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Tax IRS Corporation