Single-member LLC and filling out tax forms for advertisers who pay me


I have accounts with various advertisers and affiliate companies - let's just say Amazon Affiliates for the purposes of this discussion - and I've now registered a single-member LLC.

During the conversion process from getting paid individually to getting paid as an LLC, I've run into a few issues I'm not 100% sure how to answer.

I have:

  • my own name
  • my single-member LLC name

I also have:

  • my own SSN
  • my own EIN (as a sole proprietor)
  • my LLC's EIN

I've been using my own EIN and my own name so far.

So what should I use now:

  • for the Tax Name field
  • for the Tax ID Number field
  • for the Organization Type field
Curiously, the Organization Type doesn't even have an LLC-related field at all. Here's what it looks like:

According to various instructions, including ones in the W9, single-member LLCs are disregarded entities on the federal level. But my bank account is in the LLC's name. So in order to get paid, I imagine I need the Name to be the name of the LLC. What about the tax ID number? And the type? It's so very confusing.

Thank you.


asked Feb 8 '13 at 11:05
Artem Russakovskii
106 points
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans

1 Answer


So what should I use now:
for the Tax Name field

LLC name (or if they have a separate DBA field - your name, and the LLC in the DBA field).

for the Tax ID Number field

Your SSN/EIN. From form W9 :

If you are a single-member LLC that is disregarded as an entity
separate from its owner (see Limited Liability Company (LLC) on page
2), enter the owner’s SSN (or EIN, if the owner has one). Do not enter
the disregarded entity’s EIN. If the LLC is classified as a
corporation or partnership, enter the entity’s EIN.

That said, many use SMLLC EIN and it seems to be passing well.

for the Organization Type field

Individual if you're SMLLC, Partnership if you're MMLLC.

I'm not a lawyer and this is not a legal advice. I'm not a tax professional either, and this is not a tax advice as well. In a doubt go to a professional. Information you get on free forums is worth exactly what you paid for it.

answered Feb 8 '13 at 11:21
5,090 points
  • Still struggling to understand why the downvote. Whoever it is, please stop running after me and downvoting all my answers, its just childish. – Littleadv 10 years ago
  • I don't see a downvote, and I upvoted your comment, as your answers are pretty much what I suspected were the correct answers. – Artem Russakovskii 10 years ago

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: