UK Company Doing US Start-Up


UK company wants to start up a subsidiary in the US. The first employee and the person heading it up will be a Canadian citizen living in Montreal. What issues if any does this structure pose?

Getting Started Foreign Legal

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:39
Jim Thompson
1 point
Get up to $750K in working capital to finance your business: Clarify Capital Business Loans
  • Call a US immigration lawyer, and a US/Canadian/UK tax expert. Too many issues to count. – Littleadv 10 years ago
  • If the person is a Canadian citizen and lives and works in us, AFAIK your US corp would not employ them. Maybe pay them as an international contractor but you'd need a Canadian sub if you wanted them to be employee – Michael Pryor 10 years ago

1 Answer


I have helped ~40 foreign clients bring their businesses to the US and have blogged extensively about the issues they face. I recommend that you start at my blog's Foreign Countries page and follow links from there.

Formation of a corporation and obtaining an Employer Identification Number will be reasonably straightforward. Having a Canadian employee will be relatively straightforward from the US perspective (adapting standard employment-related documents), though I am not qualified to comment on additional paperwork that will be required to address Canadian legal issues or on the mechanics of paying the individual.

You will need, in the US, both a lawyer and an accountant / tax advisor who have experience working with international clients.

Disclaimer: This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

answered Sep 21 '13 at 01:36
Dana Shultz
6,015 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Getting Started Foreign Legal