Bookkeeping Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
12.4K Views
Can we expense mileage as it incures?

I have a multi-member LLC and we elected to go the mileage route instead of actual auto expenses. Can we enter mileage as it incurs each week as an expense on our books? Or do we have to track...

asked Aug 29 '17 at 02:56
Blank
MissQB
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.69K Views
How should I setup accounts for a small non-profit with monthly membership dues?

I am attempting to create books for a small non-profit where we have a member base who pay a monthly membership due. I have thought about creating an accounts receivable for each member that would...

asked Jul 31 '13 at 01:19
Blank
Ahhchuu
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Small fee service and bookkeeping

I want to minimise startup costs so by reading many useful posts here I've came to a conclusion that bookkeeping and accountancy are the biggest cost if you are starting small. My service is going...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 20:19
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.41K Views
Help with SaaS and bookkeeping

I am going to start a company for a simple online service which should sell digital goods to customers. Since I am new in running business world there are few things I need to learn. I've tried to...

asked Mar 5 '13 at 09:43
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

5 Votes
8 Answers
3.48K Views
how should I start bookkeeping for my tiny company?

I started a little software company as a sole proprietorship and I'm generating income from an app in the Mac App Store. I have made a few business related purchases (software, web hosting,...

asked Nov 1 '12 at 14:49
Blank
Mike T
174 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Need to suggest client seek legal advice - how do I word this to them?

I am a bookkeeper. In working in my client's files, I have found some discrepancies and I want to let them know about these discrepancies and that I think they should seek some professional advice...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 15:01
Blank
James
1 point

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
Do I really need an accountant?

As a new startup, do I really need a part-time accountant or can software like QuickBooks do everything for me? Perhaps a bookkeeper to input data into the software is all I need?

asked May 24 '12 at 07:30
Blank
Anon E
41 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
5.33K Views
Bookkeeping practices for a website using electronic payments (e.g. Paypal)

I am in the process of setting up an accounting "system" (well set of procedures etc). For most businesses, the books of original entry include: Sales Day Book Sales Return Day Book As I...

asked Dec 9 '11 at 04:23
Blank
Morpheous
23 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.03K Views
Accounting for Depreciation in QuickBooks

Can someone point me to some examples of how to handle depreciation in QuickBooks (2009)? To give an example, I buy a computer for $2000 in 2009. I choose "Equipment" as category. I duly report my...

asked Aug 16 '11 at 06:27
Blank
Dave
160 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.56K Views
The mint.com of small business (Indinero and the like)

I currently use mint.com to keep track of my personal finances and I love it! Is there an equivalent product in regards to quality/execution for small businesses/startups? What does everyone here...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 03:26
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.44K Views
How to record monies owed to me by my new startup? (bookkeeping question)

I have recently started a startup. I am totally bootstrapping the startup, and so costs are being kept to a minimum. There is no way the company can afford to pay me my normal (or even...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 15:45
Blank
Voidstar
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.69K Views
Books necessary for a completely newbie

I am a recent graduate and soon I am starting my own company in the IT/Tech. Because always all of my studies were mostly technical(computer programming,coding,...) and do not have that much work...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 07:04
Blank
Hossein
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
7.53K Views
Examples of Manually Entering Payroll in QuickBooks for 1 person S-Corp

First, my apoligies if I'm on the wrong board. Please point me to the right site. I have a 1 person S-Corp in California and use Paychex for the payroll. I simply want to enter the data into...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 02:44
Blank
Dave
160 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.05K Views
Building an Effective "Chart of Accounts"

I am currently setting up Quickbooks for my manufacturing business. I have tons of historical data to enter. I added all my vendors and I am now at the point of creating my "Chart of Accounts."...

asked Jun 7 '10 at 22:38
Blank
Clint
695 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
6.43K Views
IRS taxes with 0 revenue in first year

I created a corporation last fall and made no revenues (or expenses) in 2009. I obtained an EIN from the IRS and they asked me to file form 1120 for 2009. What is the best way to do this? is it...

asked Mar 11 '10 at 05:02
Blank
Nicolas K.
111 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
5.16K Views
What set of expenditure categories would you recommend for your bookkeeping?

Boring subject, I know, but... I am looking to set up my company's accounts shortly and would appreciate some guidance from more established business operators. I don't know if there is any...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 18:51
Blank
Steve Wilkinson
2,744 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.1K Views
Accounting for personal credit card

I have a personal credit card that I use for both personal and business purchases. Ideally, I would have a separate credit card for each. Until that is sorted out, how does my business spending on...

asked Jan 29 '10 at 12:01
Blank
Joel
126 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
3.42K Views
How to find and use a good bookkeeping service?

For 2010, I think it's finally time to get a bookkeeper. We're doing it in-house now, which means that it's always behind schedule and not as accurate as I'd like. In an ideal world, we'd like...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 03:40
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points